Unraveling fake identification

I've just finished unraveling all the fake id's, fake diploma, transcript, credentials, submitted by a new employee from another state. Two different SSN's, a forged driver's license (because his is permanently suspended), and three different birth dates. Using his real information, his criminal background check revealed 47 counts (15 pages long) of felonies and misdemeanors, including financial card fraud, larceny, possession of stolen property, etc. I think the guy commits identity theft. He's only 28 years old & I can't figure out how's he not in jail. Needless to say, he won't be working for us anymore.

I'm very much feeling like calling the district attorney in his county & turning over everything I have - application, W-4, NC-4, I-9, all of which have fraudulent info on them. Our policy on internal investigations says that if we discover criminal activity, we'll turn it over to law enforcement, but that policy is written in the context of having a duty to report child abuse/sexual abuse...although it doesn't specifically exclude other kinds of activity. What do you think? Am I asking for trouble? Breaking any laws? I just feel a duty to inform someone that can do something about it.

Kathi

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Turn the information over to the authorities. It takes citizens recoginizing duty to really make our system work. Then when you are done, they may ask you to apply for a job in their identity theft division. Sounds like you did an excellent job of unraveling a complex puzzle.

You helped your company dodge a bullet, now help society.
  • i agree Marc:

do it without hesitation.

• Isn't using a forged driver's license a crime? I would call the DA.
  • KathiHR,
    I am just curious, and if you don't mind sharing what type of company do you work for, sounds like this applicant is going to great lengths to work there..must be good x:-)

Great job, good luck
  • Hi Kathi - I would talk to your attorney before proceeding with turning the information over to the police. Just to double check - okay? I would hate it if you did turn it over & then put your company in jeopardy. Just my thoughts.
  • Kathi:
    I would make contact with my local county DA to see if there are any state laws that might be broken. I, recently, did this and it was the Sheriff's Department were I swore out a warrant for the arrest of our x-ee for emblezzelment, "an intent to embezzel" for presenting false documents with the intent on doing financial harm to our company. If there is illegal activity, for no other reason than to give the police authority the potential to connect the ee to other wrong doing in the area. We employers are also community members and we must participate with the community any all police work!

Congrads for you work to protect your company!

PORK
  • I agree with Pork. There is rampant identity theft in this country so a second person (a legal rep) can do his/own investigation before taking action. Since he's only 28 and has 15 pages of felonies- well, it's better to have someone else look into this.
  • Might I ask, what did you see that caused you to reason that something was not right? Was it just your usual back ground check or did something stand out and say this is not right? Also did you do all the checking on your own or did you use an outside source for such a detailed back ground check? We are considering an outside agency for such matters but yet to decide.
    Thanks,
    Dutch2
  • I guess I'm having a problem with this issue - nothing new really when it comes to privacy issues.

"Our policy on internal investigations says that if we discover criminal activity, we'll turn it over to law enforcement, but that policy is written in the context of having a duty to report child abuse/sexual abuse, although it doesn't specifically exclude other kinds of activity."

The ambiguity of the last 9 words is what causes alarm for me, so my answer isn't a knee-jerk response to report it to the authorities. The knowledge that you have gained is during the course of an employment relationship - you're not just merely a citizen acting on a tip or information - you gained it by performing a background check - on behalf of your company. I don't think you policy covers you here & I think you need to contact the company's attorney and management for their approval before proceeding on your own. If my assistant contacted an outside agency about such an issue, before going through the chain of command if you will, she would be the next one to go.