Reference checks

I do not run background checks until after a conditional job offer has been made. However can you check past job references before an offer has been made? Thanks for help.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can do them anytime you have the appropriate signed authorization and funds to have them run. If you do them yourself, and all you do is employment history verification and education, and your application has that stated, you can run them as you wish. I think the safest and most cost effective way is to run them when you narrow the field to one or two finalists, just prior to job offer. But, that's just my opinion.
  • I agree with Don. We do them prior to offer. Make conditional offer, then do physical and drug. No one starts til all results are back.
  • I know this may sound impossible, but I agree with DonD. You should be aware that if you, meaning the company, does not perform the background check, then you should consider the implications of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
    Vance Miller
    Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
    Armstrong Teasdale LLP
    (314) 621-5070
    [email]vmiller@armstrongteasdale.com[/email]
  • I think I've told you this before, V. I see no reason for you twist and squirm on those rare occasions when you throw caution to the wind and agree publicly with me. It's gotta be good therapy for a lawyer to admit that another person has provided an appropriate answer. But, I know it's tough to do.........And I do note that you are making progress in this area. x:-)