personnel files-what to do when Comp purchased

We have purchased several companies in the past 5 years. Do we need to keep the old personnel files on their employees or should we start a new file and only keep our information going forward? Who should keep the old files and for how long?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you have indeed purchased the companies, rather than just acquiring some of their assets, you'll probably need to keep the personnel files for as long as you'd keep your own. Laws in several areas basically provide that the acquiring company inherits the legal problems of the acquiree company. Check with your legal counsel.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-04 AT 10:54AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-04 AT 10:53 AM (CST)[/font]

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-23-04 AT 10:51 AM (CST)[/font]

Obviously a review by legal types would be appropriate. In addition to various state vs federal rules regarding personnel and payroll files, you also need to check OSHA regs for record keeping rules regarding health or accident/illness records. OSHA 29 CFR Part 1904 covers these requirements and specifically covers "Change of Ownership" criteria.
  • I was employed at a large mfg company that acquired many companies. My experience has shown me to SAVE EVERYTHING at first, going through the legal obligation later. Missing, incomplete, inaccurate employee records from acquired companies have caused many a frustration and anything you can do to minimize it is best.

Ultimately, I agree with the other posters who say to follow the same rules you do with other employees' personnel files.

And good luck!