Permanent Restrictions

If you have an employee who presents permanent work restrictions, and you are able to accomodate them, do you require the employee to get the restrictions updated? This would be for both work-related and non-work related conditions.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We're just going through that now, and are requiring the employee to have them updated. We didn't have a policy on it, and it went much too long, but we're addressing it now. I would think that every two years would be reasonable even for 'permanent' restrictions. Our employee has a lifting restriction and was reported to be lifting weights at the local Y.
  • We have an employee who has been on permanent restrictions due to a workers comp injury.

He is seen once a year by the doctor to verify that those restrictions have not changed.
  • It depends on the cause for the restriction.

For example, an emplyee who is medically diagnosed as permanently blind doesn't need to get updates on any restrictions because of the blindness. For the employer to require that would be a form of harassment based upon disaibity.
  • I assume no-one among us would require a blind person to update their restrictions or medical condition. I also think it not unreasonable, and perfectly acceptable and lawful to require that restrictions, generally, be updated and required at minimum, annually updated, perhaps in some cases, even more often. We simply cannot fold or cave to the California analysis of what can be required by employers who are about the business of operating a business to make a profit and offering a few jobs in the process.