Project Managment

The company I'm currently contracting with is big on project management. The VP of HR wants all HR projects to be coordinated and worked on per the organization's "standard project management methodology".
Does anyone else's organization have "standard" project management practices? Does your HR dept (or do you) subscribe to a certain methodology? Do you think training / certification in project mananagement is useful for HR professionals? Just curious.

Cinderella

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Regis: I think I need to call a friend.
  • I stumped Don!!! I can't believe it! This will never happen again...I must savor the moment x;-)

Cinderella
  • My company is real big on project management. They put together an online curriculum in the area. I'm not sure how helpful it is; I've been on big projects headed by those who have some type of Project Management certificate and its been a joke. And I've worked on others where no one knew Project Management from astrophysics and everything went very smoothly. I'm considering taking the online courses only because its the current buzz-term and looks good on a resume.
  • We have just put a "Project Management Office" into place. It follows a standard methodology for each project. All memos look alike, all reports...

mindleaders.com has a pretty good course in Project Management-you can take it right from your desk.

• We only use it for major projects. You must have a top to bottom commitment to it before it can really be effective. Any sort of haphazard or "ho-hum" attitudes about it will quickly cripple it.

Turnover is also it's enemy - having to pick up the peices of someone elses project planning and tracking can throw everyone associated with it into a tailspin. Review project planning documents that should already exist, if not, then you need to create them. If you are doing them first hand, that is better than picking up someone else's approach, but then you get to invent the wheel.

The suggestions above are good ones. In my opinion, you need to get some training and do some reading before it will be effective.

Good luck.