Do we need to supply?

If an ee has received new glasses/contacts within 3mths and now is complaining that her monitor on her computer is hurting her eyes is the er responsible for purchasing a filtering system on her computer. There are 3 other people in the same office not having any problems.

This ee has asked for a privacy screen on her computer before and had been denied due to consistently on the internet not work related. She had been disciplined according to our policy for this issue.

How would you respond to this request?

Lisa

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Glare filters are cheap but do not enhance privacy by any large degree. I personally don't like them, but for a couple of bucks, why not?
  • As sincerely as possible (I know, but some complaints are hard to take seriously), I'd tell her get a new pair of glasses with anti-glare coating. Or, again sincerely, I would suggest that she complain to the optometrist about her glasses. If you want, there are cheap "filters" that go over computer screens. However, since her eye problems are easily fixedly, I don't believe she is entitled to an accomodation under ADA.
    As to the privacy screen, your computer policy should point out that the computer is owned by the company and there is no such thing as privacy.

• I'm not sure what a privacy screen is but assume it's some device that precludes others viewing what's on her screen. No way.
  • A privacy screen goes over your monitor so that unless someone is right behind you they can not see what is on your screen.

ABSOLUTELY NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I wouldn't mind giving her the filter(they are inexpensive) if I didn't believe it is a way to modify her computer so that others cannot view her screen. There lies the problem.
  • Regardless if you do get her the screen, perhaps your IT department can help regarding monitoring her Internet usage. At my former company managers could see what their ee's were up to on the Internet with the click of a button.
    Cinderella