Age requirement

It is my understanding that ees must be at least 18 years of age to operate machinery in Missouri. However, does anyone know if that holds true for children of the owners of the company. I would think labor laws would remain the same regardless whom the ee is but was asked to check. Thanks to all for any help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know the laws in the State of Missouri, but I know that learners permits used to be issued in Kansas that would allow 14 year olds to drive wheat trucks and the like. They also operated tractors and other farm equipment. Missouri also has a lot of agriculture and probably has similar laws.

How that translates into operating non-farm machinery is a mystery to me, but I would think the Missouri Labor Department could tell you, if not them, then perhaps a safety agency.
  • I don't know what the law is, but even if allowed,in many cases common sense says don't do it. For example, a forklift in an area with lots of other people.
  • Check Missouri Rev. Statute 294.040. It lists the machinery and jobs that a child under the age of 16 is prohibited from performing. Section 294 generally defines a child for employment purposes as being under the age of 16.

Vance Miller
    Editor, Missouri Employment Law Letter
    Armstrong Teasdale LLP
    (314) 621-5070
    [email]vmiller@armstrongteasdale.com[/email]