Handicapped Parking...

Do any of you require employees with a handicapped placard (issued by the state dept. of transportation) present documentation from a medical doctor supporting the need for such accomodation at work?

In the past we've accepted that the dept. of transportation required this information and verified the need prior to issuing the placard. But we are considering requiring further "proof" that the employee must have special parking.

We have a 6 level attached parking garage with elevators and handicapped spots closest to each entrancce door. We also have a lot available for overflow parking.

We also have an annex facility around the block. Some employees have parking there, but a vast majority park at HQ and walk. Only one handicapped spot is available at this facility.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would not require further proof if they have a state issued card.

I would increase the number of spots at your annex.

If I recall, there may even be a requirement. .X spots designated for X spaces
  • Edit. . just curious. sounds like there is a lot of parking with the garage..what is causing the question?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-15-04 AT 11:29AM (CST)[/font][br][br]It seems that we believe that some ee's may be using the handicapped placard of their mother, husband, wife, to park closer to the doors. I guess we want to be sure that the spaces are available for the person that needs it...not just the car.

PS: I work in the Annex and would love to have parking!!!! But there is only a small lot, I think maybe 30 spots for over 200 EE's-so they go to the high level people. Although, given the number of fender-benders in this lot...I'm kind of glad I don't have a spot!!!
  • Interesting question. It gripes the snot out of me to see car after car parked at Wal-Mart with no designation on the tag. In this state, the placard is not satisfactory. Persons desiring handicapped parking accommodation must have the special license plate. The second most bothersome part of this is the people who use the designated car who probably are not disabled. I don't think federal law (ADA) would be violated by your having the employee complete a request form, including a doctor's statement of certification. Of course it's not legal to elicit from an applicant or employee information which may result in their acknowledgement or ID of a handicap or disability. But, since she's already done that, as long as you aren't requiring to ID the disability or diagnosis, I believe you could do what you suggest. You didn't ask about the wisdom of doing it. You just asked if you COULD.
  • Don-Thank you for your candid response! I believe that you and I share the same opinion of the WISDOM of implementing such a "policy"!!! :-S xflash