2 seperate duties-1pay rate

I am still here...
I have another question...There is an employee who was hired as a line cook for $9.00 per hour. Then after about a month, he was switched to a pastery chef (Different Duties). This change was not permanent or official. There is a job opening for a pastery chef that he has applied for but not gotten. There is about a dollar fifty pay increase difference between the two jobs. Should he be getting that extra $1.50 per hour when doing pastery chef duties? Also, he does not know why he is not getting that position permantly.

Thanks
April

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • April, what is your role in HR? Your role has something to do with the approach. If you process the payroll, but are not the hiring decision-maker, you might ask about the pay difference. Has this employee gone to his supervisor with his issue or has he come to you, hoping that you will talk to his supervisor?

Personally, I would make the decision to pay the extra $1.50. He is apparently capable of doing the job if he's still there. He needs to ask a person with hiring authority about why he is not getting the job permantly.

• Job opening aside--I would suggest going with paying him the 2 pay rates. We have several people working multiple roles within our food service establishment. An employee who works as a dishwasher during the week, works as a cook on the weekends. During that time he gets paid at a second rate (cook's rate).

Now--back to your issue. Is the employee working as a pastry chef all the time, or is he switching between pastry chef and cook? If he is working as a pastry chef all the time, why does he not already have the title of "pastry chef?" Job opening or not, if he's been working in this capacity, he should be receiving appropriate pay for his role and titled accordingly. If it were a situation where he was only working sometimes as a pastry chef, it would be different. With the former, it sounds like he may be taken advantage of (doing higher-paid duties for lower pay).