survey legality and procedures

If it were up to me, we would not have a survey, but I am stuck with it and would like your opinions.

If you use a 360-type internal survey, where employees rate other employees, do you think that employees have a right to see the comments made about them, whether positive or negative?
Given that the survey results will be incorporated into performance reviews, and will affect raises, do you think that the survey must be included in the employees' files along with the review? Also, since the employees' ratings are compared to company averages, do you think the employee should have the right to see the complete company report?
Finally, if it came to a court case, would anonymous criticism of an employee by other employees substantiate a termination decision?
In Illinois we are required to let employees view/copy their personnel files, and employees are allowed to submit responses to items in them.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would be reluctant to base termination solely upon a "blind" response on a survey. If the information was that awful, an investigation should find concrete evidence and allow you to terminate without a problem.

As for viewing the survey, I would say "yes" provided there is no way for the employee to decipher the identity of the responding employee...you don't want any retaliation claims on your hands....

• The only problem with anonymous complaints being made available, someone can usually figure out who said it. For example, "Tim never helps me clean up after we finish a job."

We allow team members to make comments about other's job performance in reviews. If the coach (who gives the review) cannot take ownership of the comment (they know Tim doesn't help clean up and has spoken with him about it), he/she will investigate the comment and either take ownership of it or trash it. I always stress to the coaches, do not wait until the review to deal with a problem. Deal with it when it happens and use the review as a synopsis of the year. I think it can work with some effort. Good luck.
  • I'm so sorry MrCreosote, - I absolutely hate 360-degree (just my opinion - I'm sure many like 'em.) programs. That being said, since your company has it, there shouldn't be anything in the survey that's "negative" - as "negative" comments should be rephrased so that they are instead - "constructive feedback". If that measure is met, then it shouldn't be a problem for the person in question to review the comments supplied by team members. Also, with your 360-degree package - doesn't it offer training to the individual ee's on how to accept the feedback provided?

In addition, I would include the survey's in the file (or at least a summary of the survey's) - after all, it was used to help determine the ee's performance & wage increase (if there is one) & you may need it in the future for legal reasons (isn't that why we keep stuff anyway?).

As to the company results - I wouldn't supply them with the detailed information, I would look towards a summary sheet, but that is up to you & your company.

Good luck!