basic temp-to-perm question

When a temp is offered regular status, are the terms of the offer to the employee usually negotiable? Specifically, I was wondering if companies count the temp time toward seniority and benefits, and if not can this be negotiated? In general, are comp and pto negotiated, sort of negotiable, or written in stone?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When we convert temps we will consider time served under the temp contract as counting toward the three-month elimination period for insurance; however, PTO, vacation, etc. must wait until the individual has the requisite amount of time on our payroll (e.g., vacation requires one years' service, PTO accrues at an hourly rate per pay period, so they can't begin to accrue until they are physically being paid by us).
  • Presently when we bring a staffing employee on regular, they start from 0 as far as any accrual of benefit time. I did work for a few years in the staffing industry and some of the client companies allowed the EE to accrue time from the begining of their staffing assignment. So I guess what I am saying is that it would be entirely up to your company and what policy you wanted to establish.
  • Our Temp to Perm conversions also start at zero. It's like they've been hired all over again. New period of probation, different health benefits, PTO, it's a completely different situation.

• As a matter of procedure I would treat a temp as I would any other new hire. The temp was NOT an employee, no matter how long he/she worked.