Applications

I just received a resume with height, weight, marital status and age on the front page. Do I black out the information, or do I send it back with a letter stating that we don't accept resumes with this type of information? This subject was a question on the recent PHR exam I took earlier this month too. I can't remember what I answered and I am no longer sure what is the right thing to do. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • HRCATHY: I accept the resume as written and should I choose to circulate the resume, I would infact make verbal contact with the individual and ask them to redo their resume leaving out these particulars. A person who volunteers this information is certainly not protected under the protected classes. However, you would not want to exacerbate the situation, by knowning this is not good information to have prior to the decision making step in the hiring process. I would not black out the information for fear it would raise the visibility of the issues around the information. Most individuals do not necessarily know we can not ask for the information and once told are very willing to take the information outand send you another resume. I once was in the military and I received advise from our "transition team from active military to retired military" to send a promotion type personal picture, in order to take advantage of the patriotism factor. I am sure the picture helped me get my foot in the door and was offered a position as the company trainer, which started my career in the HR world of work. I found out 7 years later that it was my military retirement that also helped me out the door during the RIF, after all I was receiving a military retired annuitity and my departure would not hurt as bad as another less deserving family person.

PORK
  • Thanks, Pork. His resume alone is enough not to call him. I was concerned that even having that information might get me into trouble. I will file it with the rest of my applications. Have a great holiday!
  • I wouldn't even ask him/her to rewrite the resume. You cannot ask these questions, but applicants can volunteer anything about themselves they want to. I'd handle it like any other resume.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • This very issue was the subject of a thread awhile back - you may want to do a search. My position is that inappropriate information should be redacted from all resumes that come in before it is circulated to the hiring authority.