Customer Gifts

With more than 25 yrs of HR experience I wouldn't have thought I'd ever be looking at the issues of corporate conduct, impropriety and detrimental conduct that we read about everyday......but I think it may be time. An ounce of prevention...

Does anyone have a written protocol or established practice governing "gifts" your organization might receive from customers, clients, vendors, etc... during the holiday season; or for that matter any time of the year? I'm aware of some employers that limit the value of the gifts they willingly accept-----(e.g. gifts of less than $100.00 are distributed/shared with dep't staff and gifts having value of >$100.00 are donated to an outside third party (NFP charity, etc.)
Gifts that are received by sr. management would presumably be treated the same, but I'd be interested in knowing if that is the case in your organization. Tks

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our policy does not allow us to accept gifts of any value from customers or vendors.
  • Each of the places I've worked at in the private sector had written policy statements prohibiting the acceptance of any gift valued over $25.00. But those policies never seemed to correlate with the reality of the gifts received. The policies seemed to be in name only. Television sets, trips to Taledega, SUVs and Trucks at discount lease rates, cruises, football tickets to super bowls, you name it. To interfere with this is to put your 25+ year career at risk. Pick your battles wisely in your old age.
  • Don:
    While I pride myself in choosing those battles, this "aint' one of em I can avoid"........ Our Board chair is saying we need more than our customary "we do not accept gifts from patients, etc....." Ughhh
  • We don't often get gifts from vendors, and don't have a policy regarding this.

I did receive a box of chocolates from my dental insurance company. One would think they would send something that promotes dental health, not deteriorate it. I guess I do prefer chocolates to dental floss, though. x:D
  • Hey HRQ - Their just trying to drum up business.
  • We do have a policy that forbids employees from accepting directly any substantial gifts from both customers and clients. What we are trying to avoid are freebie hotels, dinners, entertainment.

During the holiday season, we do receive gift baskets from some law firms, large clients and so on. These are typically addressed either to one employee (the portfolio manager, for example) or to the entire department.

In any case, these gifts are shared with the entire department as much as possible.

If you choose to fight this battle, I could provide you with a sample policy....

• I worked in retail. We used to call these kickbacks as they happened all year round and increased during the holidays. HR never really got them. The most I would get is a lot of b**# kissing when it came to picking a new insurance broker (please don't delete me James!). The kickbacks that I did see were unbelievable. Cases of wine, parties catered for free, etc.
    I would take the high road as in the first response, but, as Don D said, don't fight it if the higher ups encourage it.
    Cristina
  • Our policy states that they may only accept the same type of business courtsey that may give. We don't give vehicles, trips, etc. - which means they cannot receive them. So far this policy has worked well.
  • Our policy states that if it is a "promotional item" or if it is a gift such as "sports tickets" the value has to be under $100 and I have to approve it before they can accept it. The item then goes into an office raffle.

Christmas presents such as cookies and candies, we share with the whole staff. We only have 17 in this office.

If someone wants the tin once the candies are gone, they ask whomever received the gift initially.

Upper-Upper management keep their gifts such as alcohol or anything specifically for them. Otherwise they share as well.

• I would get a personal interview with the Chairman of the Board with the intent of getting his support and exact assistance in developing the words for a "kickass" policy voted on by the Board of Directors or Board of Governors or whatever they are called. Make sure the policy comes from way upon high and keep as much of it off of the HR as possible. It will be a gun to your head, and your buddies will pull the trigger.

PORK
  • Language, PORK, language.
    Be careful of the HRforum inspectors.
    Cristina
  • I know I haven't posted for awhile--been lurking though. I also know that I am an idealist....but...this is one of the things about corporate America that chaps my hide, especially as someone in HR who is supposed to be a model to ee's as well as help answer questions and explain policies, etc.

Not that gifts aren't shared...I don't really care who gets to eat the Omaha steaks or drink the case of wine, but what I DO care about is the fact that a lot of companies have one set of rules for the management and another for the rank and file. While sometimes I know this can make sense in jobs that are vastly different in responsibility, a lot of times it is just plain ridiculous and decreases morale.

At my last place of employment:
    The Harry and David gift tower (lots of yummy food for those of you who haven't heard of 'em)has to be shared among the hourlies in accounting but the trip to the (@#$!ing) Cayman Islands is taken by the CEO. Policy says gifts over $100 are to be raffled off or given to charity. Hello? Bueller?

-Cinderella