Revising Drug Policy

We are currently revising our random drug testing policy. We would like to have most likely me (HRM) or if not available Cheif Operations Manager transport the selectees to our off-site testing facility. Drive is less than 2 miles. Does anyone currently transport ees to test and if so do you need a chauffers license or special insurance to do so. One reason for wanting a member of management along is to ensure ees do not react in a hostile manor to testers and if they did we would see this first hand. Also if accident would accure would drivers insurance be responsible or would companies. Should a company vehile as opposed to private be used if possible?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are fortunate in that our lab comes on-site to do our random testing. However, we do on occasion transport EEs from one location to another and utilize both company and personal vehicles. We require (and pick up the tab) that anyone who uses their personal vehicle for business purposes have a personal Million $$ umbrella liability policy on their vehicle. The vehicle's owners insurance would be the primary in your scenario.
  • We always transport when it is a "reasonable suspicion" test. It is best to use a company vehicle which is insured by the company policy. At times, however, I do use my personal vehicle and should something happen am prepared to have my insuranace company counterclaim the company. For randoms, we allow the employees to go on their own, or we will make a company vehicle available for one to drive all (we do 4-at a time randoms).