Xmas Baskets

I wanted to get some feedback on an issue we are having with the xmas baskets our company is giving to our customers this year. The basket theme is going to be representative of products made in our city. Some of our directors think it would either be a liability or inappropriate to include a bottle or two of beer from a local microbrewing company in the basket. What are other opinions on this?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I suppose you might be liable if a can blew up or a bottle burst and cut someone because of the packaging of the basket. If the product is produced in your city and your basket contains products representative of manufacturing in your city, certainly it should be included. What if someone in your city made swimwear or mascara or toothpicks? Someone, somewhere is sure to be offended by each of those. (Can I give you my address?)
  • I don't see a problem alot of companies send out wine and cheese baskets.
    I would make some reference about the city products, so some won't be disappointed there is only 1 bottle in their basket.

Lisa =P~
  • Well, I would look at it this way.

I receive a basket. COOL!

If I don't like the cheese, I can throw it out or offer it to someone else.

If I don't like the jam, I can throw it out or offer it to someone else.

If I don't like the beer, I can throw it away. I wouldn't offer it to someone else, b/c knowing my luck they would drink it before they went home, cut their hand on their scissors, leave to go to his lawyers office to file a law suit against the company and on the way get arrested for DUI.

Anyway, to answer your question: Include the beer if it is part of the theme. Unless you are sending the basket to a highly religious group/party/person, I wouldn't be concerned with offending them.

Merry Christmukkah!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-09-03 AT 11:13AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I bet there is another product in your basket that someone could be offended by or sue you over. Don't let PC and lawyers ruin your holiday cheer. Send the beer.

PS you could always buy gift basket insurance. x:D
  • What kind of beer is it? If it is not a hefeweizen someone might get offended.8-}
  • There's an emerging poet among us.

"Don't let lawyers ruin your cheer,
    just go ahead and send the beer".

Rum-pa-pum-pum.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-09-03 AT 03:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I knew I had a hidden talent somewhere,
    Well, at least one that didn't scare.
    Maybe it does,
    But I don't care.

Paul, your lucky I didn't realize my talent until after the haiku contest. Oh, victory could have been mine! x:'(
  • I can see their point. Suppose your city was noted for firearms or tobacco products? I think a good compromise would be to ship the samples to me, and I will ship the empty bottles back to you for inclusion in the baskets. Hey, which breweries are you talking about anyway?
  • We're located in SW MO. I get to KC often as we have relatives that live there. Have been to the brewery and loved the beer. I think I would make sure that you put a note in the basket that the items are all made in your city.
  • I'm on the play it safe side. Most companies like that will have hats or some other item with their logo, etc. on it. I would opt for that kind of item for the baskets instead.
  • Liability or inappropriate were the two considerations. I don't see any liability issues associated with sending beer. Perhaps you are worried they would be intercepted by underage persons? Or that they would be immediately guzzled at some workplace and then the recipient hits the road and wipes out various and sundry citizenry and their property? You do not stand in the same place a bartender or owner would stand so I would not worry about those types of issues. If the naysayers still rave on, put in a note about drinking and driving.

As to appropriate: Your company knows its customers better than any of us. Will they be offended? I would not be, and very few people I know would be, but there are a few that are opposed to alcohol in an extreme fashion that I would not include on such a list. Perhaps you can have your sales staff or others go through the list and suggest customers that should receive a basket with an item substituted for beer.

I think the whole idea is a good theme. Having lived in KC many years ago, it is a great city with much to be proud of - go for it and promote your city and your company.
  • I, too , think it's a neat idea. When I lived in Toledo there was a company that produced these baskets "A taste of Toledo". Had stuff from Tony Packo's, glasses from Libbey etc. There was, I recall, beer from a local microbrewery. Good way to be "hometown proud"