sharing applications

One of our directors asked if I would share applications we've received with a business associate of his. I don't think it's a good idea to pass applications around without the applicant's permission.

Your thoughts? I don't know if this is covered under the HIPAA privacy law???

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do not pass around applications without the applicants permission.

You are sharing confidential information such as address, ssn, phone number that the applicant did not give you permission to share.

No-no!
  • I wouldn't share applications. I would, however, on occasion share resumes with counterparts who might be looking for candidates. I would do it with the permission of the candidate, not wholesale.
  • Completely agree with Don. I, too, share resumes with counterparts whom I know may have a need for the particular skill set. I always ask the candidate first. I haven't had too many no's. What better way to network than to have an HR department do it for you!
  • HIPAA NOT AN ISSUE!
    PRIVACY MIGHT COME INTO PLAY!

networking HR to HR you bet; I have and will do it again to help anyone get a job even when my company does and does not have an opening.

Tell you manager to have his friend contact you and discuss the issues and ideas on sharing. Just maybe, his friend is an owner of any up and coming bright spot in the community in which you may some day fit. Assisting a new community endeavor which is not in direct competition with your companies' business is great community relationship building. Go for it, but be in control of the praise and help rendered, I would not let my manager get any credit for any success in sharing information on recruiting.

PORK