Define It in Handbook

We have an employee who was counselled this week for insubordination. In the course of the conversation they tell her she was belligerant during the incident. She calls-in sick yesterday, comes in today asking for a definition of belligerant - they provide it. She also wants a copy of our policy against belligerency (what?) and what her boundaries are (what?).

My take is she wants to know how loud and how much she can yell and how far she can push before we fire her. I am going to call her today and review our Work Rules Policy which specifically addresses insubordination. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Do NOT play her game! You will regret it. She is attempting to take the initiative away from those imposing the disciplinary action and put them on the defensive. She wants to "armchair-lawyer" your policies, searching for loopholes and using any deficiencies to her advantage.

I'm sure you do not tolerate this type of behavior from any of your other employees. Alabama is an at-will state and, assuming there is no collective bargaining agreement, I would pave the way for termination. There are no "boundaries" for unacceptable behavior.

However, having said that I think you need to also take a good look at your handbook and your work rules. One of the things I was always taught in writing policies is that brief is better. Don't narrowly define everything and every circumstance down to the nth degree or you will find yourself being hamstrung by employees like your problem child who use the technicalities to their advantage.
  • My response to her would be this. "I will not take the time to get into the definitions of words that we all understand. But I will tell you this; I will be the first to let you know the very next time your behavior is insubordinate or belligerant and at that point, we will be defining the words intollerable and termination. Have I made myself clear?"
  • I have to say............give it up to dandy DON!!!! That is possible the best reply one could give. !!!!!!!!!!!!xclap xclap xclap xclap xclap xclap

Really was.............you desrve a cold one tonight for that one...........

My $0.02 worth......
    DJ The Balloonman

Appearing this weekend at the Jingle Bell Run in Overland Park KS.
  • Hi bamahr - Don's response is awesome (I'm going to copy it!)

Don't get caught up in her game - she's outraged she was written up & she's trying to fight back anyway she can. You can't convince her that 'they' were right in writing her up & even if you show her the policy - she'll find the loophole. Do as others suggested, just shut it down. Meet with her & let her know that the write-up stands & she can either continue to work at your company (straightening up her behavior) or leave. These are her only choices. I would probably go a little further & tell her that if she continues her current course of action, the choice will be made for her. Good luck!
  • As we have grown to expect, Don once again has brought reason and clarity to the forum. Great response.

I heard another one this week that I liked from one of the training speakers. She use a "walking the plank" analogy. If the EE keeps going, they will fall into the water with all of the alligators. "Please change your behavior and come back into the boat with the rest of us. You are on the plank now, you choose...the water or the boat."
  • If you are spending time and energy to explain a word that can be looked up in a dictionary, assuming the ee is over 5 years old and can read or has friends that can, then she is disrupting the workplace.
    She is an ADULT! You don't have to bend over backwards to accomodate her.
    Cristina
  • Another reason why we have it listed in the handbook that these reasons are not all-inclusive.

Another way to handle this is to take the opportunity to let her know what the antonym of beligerent is... why delve into this further when her best bet is to find out how not to behave in this manner ....maybe copy the dictionary definition for her so she's clear on expectations moving forward :oo