What would you do

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-05-03 AT 07:12AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Calling all experts. This is a long one. I have a situation where a direct report has come to me with a problem and I'm not sure what to do. Here are some parameters of the issue. The central issue is an HR clerk sent several copies of one invoice to an accounting clerk, but they were not paid. When she inquired why they were not paid he said he threw them away. She felt he was serious, but that is so ridiculous that she feels he might be kidding. If it is true, that is a major issue that I don't feel I can sit on. Now, if you are familiar with Myers-Briggs, both of these ee's are Feelers. They take everything personally and do not like conflict. The HR clerk said she was confiding to me and she didn't want me to say anything. I, of course told her that I can't promise that due to the severity of the issue. She asked me to wait a couple of days to think about it before I do anything (I think she hoping I'll forget about it). If I do anything without her buy-in, I've lost her trust and she'll be reluctant to come to me again. Another mitigating factor is the accounting-HR relationship. It's not very good. What a shocker. If I do something with her buy-in the acct clerk will take it personally and make sure everyone knows we "ratted" him out. He may even be fired, I don't know. For some, the HR-acct relationship will be further damaged. The HR clerk will feel like she is the cause of the conflict and it will cause her extreme stress. But the business related issue will be solved. What advice would you give to solve the invoice problem with the least collateral damage? I think I should go to the acct clerk with the scenario and find out for myself if it is true. This will still cause conflict, but the only other option is to go behind the acct clerk's back to his superior and have them catch him. I'm sure if I go to him first he'll deny it cover it up if it's true and there will be know way to prove it.

I must have missed this chapter in school. x:D

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think I would put the question back to the HR clerk about what she suggests should be done. That way, she can be involved in the solution. But, I would also tell her that the situation cannot be ignored; these invoices must be paid and the job of the accounting clerk is to pay them.
  • I don't know if you should do anything at all. When we get second notices, we submit them again to accounts payable. If the finance director wants to know why they weren't paid, he/she will ask accounts payable, not HR. You're covered, even if someone asks HR why it was not paid.

You, indeed, have personality differences among staff. We do too. Just don't make the mistake of being too defensive. When someone makes sarcastic, stupid remarks like "I threw it away" let them have their fun - they'll have to answer for it later, not HR.

• Are we going to continue to let people out of being responsible for their actions? This kind of behavior is not acceptable. What did the accounting clerk expect the other EE to do? If s/he was making a joke and did not get the laugh, then an "I was just kidding" would have been in order. If s/he was just trying to cause trouble, then make sure the trouble rests with it's source. Once you are burdened with the knowledge, act on it. The EE coming to you needs to know that you take supervisory responsibility seriously. Not paying invoices can have significant implications for vendor relationships, supply interruptions, etc. If an accounting clerk thinks it is acceptable to throw invoices away, s/he should not be in that job and deserves the discipline that comes his/her way. If they meant this as a joke, it does not appear to have been funny and the other clerk felt the person was serious. If you were running the accounting department, would you want to know this?

Perhaps have the two feelers get together and determine how they can communicate better. Go to the source of the problem instead of running from it. Communicate and clarify. Start mending fences instead of building them. Insert your favorite saying here ______________.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-06-03 AT 05:30PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I guess the worry about not paying a bill is overweighed by how an acccount clerk will feel. Okay, so the company is suppose to pay bills timely, gets a bad reputation when it doesn't, loses business and starts layoffs. But at least the remaining HR and accounting staffs have a good relationship.

Look, what you do know is that an invoice hasn't been paid when it was submitted. It doesn't matter why. Why don't you go to the Accounting manager or supervisor and ask about the status of the invoice since you want to make sure it is paid to an important client (or whatever)? Have the Accounting supervisor find out and let you know. You don't have to say anything about what the Account Clerk said to the HR Clerk who then told you. The issue is the status of the invoice payment. Nothing else.
  • I had an issue similar to this where receipts that I presented were conveniently "lost". I just called the AP Department and advised that I really didn't know what kept happening to my receipts, but in the future, I would keep a copy and make a notation as to when I sent them forward. I haven't had a problem since.

• I appreciate the responses from everyone. I enjoyed Hatchetman's analogy about happy ee's working in a deserted office. I even saw a tumble weed go by. I agree that ultimately what's good for the business is what's good for everyone. But relationships play a huge part in day to day life and they should not be discounted when figuring how to achieve what is best for the business. What is clearly black and white to you and me is not to someone else.

The HR clerk was gone Friday and I happened to get a call from a hotel explaining that some invoices were outstanding. So I did some checking out. They weren't paid and she said she sent them, they said I didn't get them. So from now on the HR clerk will make copies of everything she sends to acct. and if she doesn't make a copy she didn't send it. I'm going to make the acct. VP aware of the situation (with the HR clerk's agreement) and we'll see what happens.