Background Check

I've read other questions/discussions about background checks but, have not seen this question posted. We're trying to develop a policy and are interested in learning what others do. In performing criminal background checks on current or prospective employees, do you typically search only the current county of residence or do you search surrounding counties and/or counties of previous residence? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We check the current and up to three contiguous counties and THE county of residence in the previous two places they lived in. Of course this is hit and miss but it would cost a fortune to do otherwise.
  • We check every county they have lived or worked in for the past 7 years.
  • We check the county of residence, but we are located within a 15 minute drive of 2 other counties. Our Board of Directors wants me to do a statewide check, but I've been told that they are unreliable. Does anyone do statewide checks?
  • In answer to the question on state wides - In our Kansas operations, we're contractually required to run a state-wide KBI. Its cost effective ($10) & reliable, but the huge disadvantage is it takes 2-3 weeks to get it back. Because of the type of services we provide, we can't wait on the KBI to start new hires. So, if all their other background checks are ok, we start them, with their understanding that the offer could be withdrawn based on the KBI. Another disadvantage is that they can be a little tricky to read - get training from your local sheriff's office on reading them.

Kathi
  • >We check the county of residence, but we are
    >located within a 15 minute drive of 2 other
    >counties. Our Board of Directors wants me to do
    >a statewide check, but I've been told that they
    >are unreliable. Does anyone do statewide checks?

My experience with statewide checks is that they are unreliable when used exclusively. So, my suggestion is that you use the statewide to supplement a county (or whatever) search.

The "ideal" background check would include the following:

*SSN Trace
    This will reveal previous addresses reported by the big 3 credit bureaus plus the SSA. It will also reveal if the SSN is valid and the name that it has been reported under (do not rely on this to replace SSA's verification for I-9 purposes).

*County searches for all zip codes reported in the SSN Trace plus current work and home county searches. You could add neighboring counties but it will take longer and be more costly.

*Federal Wants and Warrants
    This comes straight from NCIC and will reveal exactly what the name implies.

*Statewide Felonies
    Use it to supplement your county searches. Not all states have such a database and it isn't always up-to-date.

You could add particulars depending on your policy and position you're hiring for. These items would include Consumer Credit Reports, US Bankruptcy Court searches, and the list goes on.

I hope this helps.

Gene
  • We run our background check through the local state police who does an nation wide check through the FBI data banks. If a state is set up in the national data bank we get the information not all states are set up. This eliminates having to go county to county and the cost is reasonable. We had to have a policy with specific wording and sign an authorization to get an ID account number. I would recommend that you check with your state police department to find out what their requirement are.
  • Thanks for your input - I'll look further into the state police as a resource.
  • Pauline,

I'm interested in how you do this. Our local (not state) police dept won't help us at all on background checks - said law prohibits them from using their resources for the private sector. But what you've described would be great, since we work in various states. Does this program have a name, or did you just call your state police dept?

Kathi