Reporting possible criminal activity

Through the grapevine I heard an employee has been telling co workers that she is suspicious that her boyfriend is sexually abusing her two-year old daughter. I am feeling very compelled to report this to the local authorities, but I seem to recall a court case where an employer was sued for doing something very similiar. Does anybody remember this court case, or any thoughts on possiblity liability?

Comments

• 29 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Absolutely - report it! I too would report anything I heard second or third hand, through the most reliable source known to human kind, the grapevine, directly to the authorities even if it involved potentially taking a child a way from home and disrupting an entire family!

Give me a break. 8-|
  • We are 'mandated reporters' in our state. But even if not, report the best information you have and let the authorities sort it out. Protect the child first - he/she cannot protect themselves and often is surrounded by others who are frozen into inaction by various circumstances.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-03-03 AT 05:15PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You're kidding - you would actually report what you heard second or third person through the grapevine no less to the authorities? What if this poster doesn't work in a child care facility or school - would your answer still be the same?

Whatever happened to talking to the employee directly about their allegations before jumping off the pier - or better yet - telling them to go to the authorities themselves & not bringing this stuff up at work...
  • In TN, as in most other states, the law is very clear on this. It is no longer just a mandate for teachers, child care providers and medical personnel to report potential abuse.

If any citizen has a bonafide suspicion then they are obligated to make a report to the proper authorities. Again, here in TN that complaint can be made 100% anonymously and it will be handled with the same sense of urgency as a 911 call from Jacko's Neverland Ranch.

Gene
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-03-03 AT 05:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Great - I'm going to modify my policies and procedures to include that all gossip will be reported to the authorities regardless of its veracity. I will further state that any information that travels through grapevines will be treated as the truth and nothing but. Further, I will work on my counseling degree as I just added 'reporting child abusers' & the like to my job description, for if nothing else, HR should be involved in personal lives as well as professional lives.

Well, at least it will cut down on water cooler conversations.
  • In my humble opinion, there are two things you do not do and one thing you do do in a situation of reported, perceived or witnessed abuse of a child or vulnerable adult. You do not evaluate; you do not hesitate; and you do report. Let the authorities sort it out. Your delay may cost a life or ruin one.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-03-03 AT 07:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]IMHO, I would never report something I heard through the "grapevine" without going directly to the source. Further, I wouldn't involve my company in this issue unless I witnessed something or the person who's directly involved sought my advice or the person who the employee confided in sought advice - in which case I would tell them to report it or to contact the EAP - trained professionals in this area. My position would only change if my son or a friend of his said that one of their friends are being abused - I would report that as kids don't always know the avenues involved with reporting.

My sarcasm to this post is by no means indicative of my thoughts/feelings regarding child abusers and the safety of children, it's directed more to the HR professional who would treat a "grapevine" at work as a sole source of truth & not seek more answers BEFORE taking the action of reporting what was heard third person. I would treat this information the same as if it was an issue of sexual harassment at the company or some sort of discrimination, I would go to the source to investigate. I would find out from them why they are hesitating in reporting, why are they bringing this up at work, what advice do they seek, now that it's brought to the company's attention, how can we help, have you contacted the EAP, etc. I'm not suggesting that it's up to me to decide if it's true or not, but before I report it, as an agent of the company, I want to, at a minimum, hear it first person.
  • I may be the only one to agree with you. Every day I hear "facts" through the grapevine. 99% per of them are false or greatly exaggerated.
  • Wow! Some Forumites seem extremely testy on this subject. I think there is a definite distinction between watercooler gossip and potential child abuse/endangerment issues. If you cannot distinguish the severity between the two then you need to make a report so that the agencies charged with investigating this can make that distinction for you and act on it.

I don't know about others, but when it comes to certain matters, and in an abundance of caution, I'm going to make the tough call.

Mwild, given the current climate with terrorism and workplace violence, how would you handle ee "gossip" regarding a planned act of terrorism to be carried out in your facility?

• Well we have two sides to a very sensitive subject here. Some say get involved make the call, other's say it's none of your business and you shouldn't get involved.

This is not an easy decsion to make. You have several different factors you need to examine.

Your first priority as an HR professional is to protect your company from any legal action. With that in mind, ask yourself this question... Is your company willing to take the chance of having to defend themselves for misuse of confidential company information. Such as releasing an employees home address without her permission. You MIGHT be able to get around that if your ee signed a background check releasing the company of any liability connected to using your personal information. You may not. I don't know, this is just a thought that you could explore. Maybe contact your legal counsel regarding that one.
    If your company IS willing to get involved, then be prepared to see this through. Although someone mentioned that you can make the call and be anon, they will more than likely be able to trace the call and know where the call is coming from. If your company is not willing to get involved, then you need to explore other avenues to report this information, if you feel that this is what you should do.

A dishonest idea would be to set up a scenario which could possibly eliminate liability from your company such as; approach the ee, start the conversation off with something such as, this is totally not work related and is off the record, but I was working on my Christmas cards, and I would like to send you one. Can I have your home address?

Unfortunately (or fortunately) employees personal lives DO intertwine with professional lives, it's just that the personal side that HR is used to dealing with is FMLA and WC and ADA. All these issues involve both professional and personal working relationships.

Other areas to consider when involving the workplace is that if the authorities do take action, people at work might end up being involuntarily involved by being called as witnesses in court.

I really think that you need to think this through for the benefit of your company and possibly consult with your legal counsel. I understand that a child is involved here and that it should be his best interest in mind. I sincerely sympathise with the hurt and need of this child, and I wish it could be less complicated, but you DO also need to consider the repercussions your company might face.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this child and her mother.
  • I'm inclined to agree with you about gossip except that we're talking about child abuse here, not who's maybe sleeping with the boss, /gambling/ drinking too much. I would absolutely make the call, not as an HR person, but as someone who has simply heard that a child may be in danger. I'd do it if I heard two people talking about it in the grocery store or on the train, I'd do it if I heard it at work.

It does not have to involve the company, the call can be made anonomously, from home or even a payphone on the street.
  • I agree with you MWild in the workplace it is hard to tell what is true or false through the grapevine. I would call the ee into my office and tell her what I have heard and let her elaborate then inform her to contact the authorities if she in the slightest believes it to be true. Better safe than sorry.

Lisa
  • I agree with the majority here - I would never put a child's safety at risk because I "assumed" a comment was just gossip.

Worst case scenario for me reporting? - Family Services comes in, investigates & finds nothing wrong. No harm, no foul. Worst case scenario for me not reporting? - Reading about it on the front page & knowing I could have done something to stop it.
  • Having worked both sides of the fence, HR and Probation Officer with a specific caseload of sex offenders, I would report it and let the proper, professional, authorities investigate the matter. I would report it as a private citizen and not as the HR Director.
  • You all already know my opinion and it's the same as Lee's. I can't understand all this concern for the company or dissecting what's best for the company or sharing private information. These people get these calls all day long. They're not going to trace the ##### call or try to entrap the company. All one needs to do is dial the agency, ask for Child Protective Services, tell the counselor you would like to report reported or alleged or suspected child abuse. The counselor already knows the possibility of the information being false and knows that you won't have a video to produce. She has an obligation to take your information and begin an investigation. The counselor will ask you several questions while she fills out a form. Child's name, adult's name, ages of either if known, location of both if known, witnesses if known, detail of reported or suspected abuse. Thank you for your call. Click. Sleep well.
  • Again, my point is, I would want to talk to the employee making the accusations first, before I took such a drastic action as calling the authorities. If they came to to me first, then I would do all I could to help that person call or, perhaps, even call myself.

I remember in an Interpersonal Communications Class I took in college an exercise entitled "Tin Can". The exercise involved the entire class seated in a semi-circle & the instructor began the exercise by reading a detailed account of a story about this guy and his green car to the first student in the circle. The student then was supposed to 'memorize' the story as told and then repeat it to the next person & this went on and on until the story was told to the last person. The last person then told the instructor what the story was about. If you haven't gone through this exercise, can you guess what the last person said? Basically, it had nothing to do with a guy, a green car or a car for that matter or any of the other details. This could be expected, but what was unexpected (for us students) was how the story changed from the first person the instructor told the story to to the second.

Child abusers are scum - no doubt about it. If one of our employees came forward & said they had heard about possible child abuse from another employee, I would thank them & then ask the employee making the accusations to come to my office to talk. Again, not to make the determination, but to hear it first hand and then help them in any way to make the call or make it myself. Relying on that second or third person interpretation of a conversation & then making a decision based on that information doesn't work for me. I mean, how do I know what the person who's coming to me to spill the beans about a conversation they overheard or participated in doesn't have their own agenda?
  • "DANDY DON": I do not understand, like you, what in the world this has to do with the company? It points to a lack of education of a very few forum participants in the value of a COMMUNITY "abuse Hot Line"; they do not want your name and company identification only the best information one who calls may have. There is no reason to step forword as the company representative and in any "bleeding heart liberal" fashion, INVESTIGATE, CONFRONT THE EE, and pin the tail on the corporate world. When you act as an HR and put things in play with a direct confrontation one sets the company in line for whatever might come. BE A CARING PERSON AND CALL!

PORK, May the mother and child have a blessed day because one caring sole called and reported the rumor from the grapevine, I hope it would be me that stopped the future events from happening.
  • If the grapevine gossip is true what has the girlfriend done about it? If it were my child I probably would have done much more then just report it! I would first talk to this employee
    and if she confirms that she thinks her boyfriend is a pedophile I would hand her my phone with the CPS number speed dialed into it. Next number would be to the hospital to have the child examined.
  • mwild,
    Are you saying that if when you spoke to the employee and they denied ever saying anything, then you would drop it?

My concern is that the employee might not tell the truth for several reasons. Fear their job is somehow jeopardized, or more importantly be in fear of the boyfriend. She herself could be the victim of abuse and when confronted by what she perceives as an authority or feels threatened, just deny everything.

Far better to report and let CPS trained investigators handle it. ALWAYS err on the side of the child.

When my son was small I had to administer some medical treatments to him that he didn't like. Needless to say he screamed very loudly and said things like "Don't", "Stop", and "You're hurting me". I was a single mom living in an apartment and knew there was a chance something might be reported.

I would never have been upset if someone had erred on the side of my child and I had to be investigated and evaluated, etc. He was worth it!

Every child is worth the risk of embarrassment, being hassled, liability, etc.
  • Yes, blw, if I spoke with the employee and she completely denied it, I would not make the call. Unpopular and from the sounds of most of the posts not what a 'caring person' would do, but I wouldn't make the call. I would however, explain the EAP program to the employee & let them know that her information is kept confidential from the employer & she could pursue this matter on her own, privately. I would also give her the hotline numbers. If the employee was under the age of 18 - I would call regardless of whether she denied it or not. I have experience with this issue from the victim standpoint & my position is still the same - I want to hear it first hand before making a call.
  • Make the call. This is more about an innocent (potential) victim than your firm. Choose which sword you fall on: "company liability" - nearly zilch, or "child negligance."

How many times have we read about the "I don't want to get involved" syndrome? We're appalled by it. Don't waste time with investigations and interviews. Let the pro's do it.

• An intersting thread............obviously one we all have strong opinions. Let me see we all agree, no tolerance for child abusers. Easy enough. None of us likes relying on 2nd & 3rd hand info, we all seem to agree.........
    Remember with discipline, you discipline the action, not the outcome. So I am puzzled why you would treat 2nd or 3rd hand maybe said/done information differently? If instead of possible child abuse, it was stealing purses out of cars would you call the authorities? Yes the crime is different, but 3rd hand maybe knowledge of anything?
    Interesting dilemna. Easy to say I would not mind be investigated for possible abuse, but of course that really depends on how the investigation is handled. Would you feel the same way if your neighbors were within earshot as the child services person said "We have received a report of suspected abuse".
    While I understand the not minding part, as someone who would not abuse a kid, my own or other, I would be extremely offended if an investigation was started based on some crap 3rd hand heresay.
    If someone saw something that was misinterupted fine, but because so and so said that they thought maybe.............. I am not sure how I would react.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman

• If this woman suspects her boyfriend has been sexually abusing her daughter, you can be sure she knows that she should report it. Bringing her into HR, asking her about the truth of the rumor and offering her assistance, in my opinion, doesn't greatly increase the chance she will make the report and, instead, may actually drive her further underground. Furthermore, it seems to bring more potential liability on the company than a anonymous phone call to CPS.
  • WHIRLWIND, TX & ALL OTHER POSTERS: It is time to go on to another and more important issue, we are not going to change "31's" appearance on this issue. Just pray for the child and ee "mother" that no further damage will come to God's little people and the victim's of abuse. Oh FOR THE ABILITY TO UNDO THE GONG WHEN OUR POSTINGS GO ARRAY!

PORK
  • I realise I am new to the Forum and maybe it's a "Midwest" way of thinking, but I totally agree with Don & Pork. Take the emotion out of it - the "rumor" is of a criminal act OUTSIDE of the workplace. As a concerned citizen, make your call and let the law enforcement community take the appropriate actions. Am I missing something here? Why is HR even involved here?
  • And while I always enjoy Balloonman's logic and humor, I can't figure out what difference it would make whether the information was from an eyewitness or a second or third-hand rumor. A child is a child and his or her health and well-being may possibly be at risk while I get really anal about the information and it's value. It is also my understanding that sometimes women who do not immediately report abuse in their own homes are tremendously threatened by the presence of the abuser themselves. How many times have we all seen on TV or read about women who either deny its going on or pretend it isn't or turn a deaf ear to their daughters when it's reported. To hell with the psychology and analytical dissection. Pick up the phone. Sorry, x:-)
  • I have been out for two days of training and so missed all of this discussion. To answer your first question mwild, Yes, I would report it. These reports would include all the information I had at my disposal. The fact that is was through the grapevine, that it was a completely uncorraberated rumor, the EEs name, etc. The CPS staff in our state know their job and understand what to do with these types of reports. They know how to conduct their follow up investigation to sift the truth from the rumors. If no truth, they move on. If there is truth, they protect the child.

To answer your second question, I would do this as a private citizen. If I was not closely associated with the childcare industry as a choice, would I still report? Absolutely! Not to break up families, embarrass or anger parents or any of the things that might happen when the situation has no merit. But all to protect the child. How much embarrassment or inconvenience should we put up with to protect our young? I do not know if there is a good answer to that, other than to say a lot.

Finally, if this turned out to be idle chatter and completely untrue, I would be to angry to think clearly about it. Once I calmed down, I might have another go at the rumor mills in the company and take people to task for the pain and misery promoted by this sort of thing.

• Well, I think WE have all made our positions clear, I wonder what the original poster did indeed do. Original Poster - what was your decision?
  • LBORN, MN: WAS THE ORIGINAL POSTER, it bailed out after the first hit and has not responded to any of the umpty dozen sets of words.

LBORN, we did not mean to run you off, just wanted a chance to speak up to give you a very diverse opportunity to receive well meaning advice.

Let us know how it all came out, otherwise, LBORN, you might NOT get any responses to your future postings!

PORK