part time or full time

We have an employee, who started as a Full time employee 3 years ago. In August, of this year they switched over to what we call Part time plus to attend college. Part time plus basically works no less than 36 hours per week so the employee is no longer awarded pay time off and tuition reimbursement. We have recently started mandatory over time for the next six weeks, (4 hours per week.) So, this would push the employee back up to 40 hours per week. Does this mean during the mandatory overtime we have to award the employee the benefits that we offer all the other Full time employees?

Now the next issue, its turns out that there was a loss in paper work and the employee is still being awarded his Paid time off. We are going to convert him over to part time plus today. But the question is since the employee only worked 36 hours per week since August can we remove the paid time off hours or do we accept the glitch as our fault and give it to him? (In the past we have had computer glitches were employees were awarded more paid time off than they had earned and we let them keep the hours.) As far as letting them keep the hours is that something we legally have to do?

Thank your for your help

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Mostly, it would depend on your policies. Now seems like a poor time to switch this employee to 'part time plus', just when they're working 40 hours per week. And, this is a mystery to me: Why would anyone in their right mind agree to work 'at least 36 hours per week' and lose paid time off benefits and tuition reimbursement just when they're returning to school? Is 4 more hours a week just more than they can handle?
  • We have hired PT ee's who may at times put in more than 40 hours per week, for example if a student they may consistently work 40+ during the summer then revert back to their normal 25-30 during the school year. I do not change their status to full-time, they remain PT.

Concerning the PTO hours that were applied by mistake, if the ee did not use any of the time and they understood they would not be earning PTO, I would remove it. If they had used some of that PTO thinking it was OK, I would not make them pay it back since it was the company's error.
  • "In the past we have had computer glitches were employees were awarded more paid time off than they had earned and we let them keep the hours."

Consistency - let him keep them.

You are mandating that the employee work 40 hours - I assume that means if he couldn't there would be some kind of action involved. I don't know that "have to" should be the operative phrase here. Try should.