Holiday Party Conduct

It is that wonderful time of the year for office parties.

Now I am going to preface this by saying I am very grateful and proud to be a part of a company who can have such a party, but extremely annoyed that we are doing so...

Our holiday party this year is at a Ritz Carlton hotel. Each and every employee plus one guest are not only invited to this party, but will be put up at the hotel for the night as well as flown in (if from out of town) and driven to the party in a limo.

Pretty fancy, huh? Well, not all of our employees are what I would consider "familiar" with the Ritz and therefore may not conduct themselves accordingly.

What I am trying to say is... does anyone have any written material regardin behavior and conduct at company events.

No emptying the mini bar, not sticking bottle caps into the sheet rock, no running up and down the hall at two in the morning slamming doors, ya know, that kind of thing.

As far as the party, do not consume more than two alcoholic drinks in a one hour period to avoid intoxication, blah blah blah...

Written or suggestions will be beneficial! Can you tell I am thrilled that I even have to do such a thing!

Hey, I guess it's better than dealing with poop on the walls, right? :)

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am disturbed by your statement that "not all our employees are what I would consider familiar with the Ritz and therefore may not conduct themselves accordingly." Then you "sarcastically" throw out rules that would apply to every hotel and/or motel in the world. You are showing an attitude that has no place in HR. And you appear to be a snob. Get over it. The people who stay at Motel 6 know better than to trash a room or disturb the guests. And, talking from experience, (and working for a manufacturing company), the vast majority of employees know how to behave and comport themselves at company events. And, I have seen upper level management misbehave at functions. Finally, 2 drinks an hour during a 5 hour party would lead to 10 drinks and a very drunk individual.
  • If the party is a mandated event (attendance required) often the code of conduct for the office can cover the event as well...ours is worded something like "blah blah, appropriate behavior at all times, including off-site events required/directed by management"

The intent of this clause was to cover us from those employees that travel and like to dance on tables.

If the party is not mandatory...you just may have to hope that people realize that they are surrounded by co-workers and like it or not, will be judged upon their behavior.

I know there have been past threads dealing with the employers liability in these types of party situations...you might want to look at that angle too.

Happy Holidays!!!
  • On JM's behalf, I would like to say that not everyone (regardless of "status") knows how to behave properly in a hotel. I am the HR mgr. for a co. with a hospitality division and trust me - I could tell you stories that would have you wondering whether some hotel guests were raised by wolves or their parents, the way the rooms are trashed and the inappropriate and destructive behavior displayed by some guests. And these are not Motel-6 type properties - these are upper-end, limited service hotels that are nicely furnished and maintained. Any hotelier can tell you that the amount of their budget spent on maintenance and repair each year is far more than one might expect.

Okay. That having been said, a general information sheet handed out at check-in might be appropriate. It can be disguised as a "guide" that helps the partygoer enjoy the amenities available to them; and, oh, by the way, only the room is free - you will be charged for items taken from the minibar. Since this is a company function, appropriate behavior is anticipated and we appreciate your efforts in maintaining a sense of decorum and dignity, etc. -- or words to that effect (I'm generally lousy at not writing things like this without sounding condescending). Perhaps some of your colleagues might be able to assist with the wording. I'm confident that such a "guide" can be written in a manner that is not insulting, condescending or patronizing. Good luck.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-18-03 AT 12:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Okay, time to defend myself. What I resented was the term "familiar with the Ritz" which implies that if you are unfamiliar with the Ritz you don't know how to behave. Not all company functions are holiday parties. We, for example, have a picnic with softball game (between the two plants) every year. No matter what the function there are certain minimum standards expected. The ees are aware what is expected. Generally, stay sober, treat everyone and everything with respect and have a good time. We have had problems from ees(from management on down) and their guests. Every company has. I have, also, been to conventions where people, who believe they are free of company restrains, behave like animals. But, the bad behavior is not limited to people who are unfamiliar with the Ritz. Even people who behave badly go to the ritz.
  • I like the check list idea. I remember when some people won a trip to an island, St Mark I think, and minutes after winning they were pulled aside and lectured on what to wear/not to wear, how they were expected to act, etc. It was very insulting and more then one person considered telling them to take the trip and stick it you know where. It is difficult because they were all there as a group indirectly representing our company and I think the trip planners knew that although most are mature enough to handle it, some are bound to behave like girls gone wild and or a bad rock band trashing a hotel room.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-18-03 AT 12:15PM (CST)[/font][br][br]So, all of the commoners are being invited up to the big house for the evening. And they'll be allowed to sleep on the mattresses and everything. And use the indoor plumbing, and sterling forks and stuff. I can't imagine that a company would consider an outlandish undertaking of this sort and then conclude that the commoners have never worn shoes before.

I don't think I know anyone who has never slept in a motel or used silverware and sheets. Sounds like your employees have been raised in a bubble and never learned not to blow boogers across the room. If you feel that way about your employees, you have an impossible task. If I received such an instruction sheet, I'd roll it up and tell you where to stick it.

(Edit) Hold on! This is the SHRM party, right?
  • Too funny Don.

I personally consider office parties as a trap for the unwary. Those that overdo it, in whatever area, are forever remembered. It is not like the Vegas ad that says something like, "What happens here stays here." It is more like the infamous Tailhook incident that happened at a local hotel, it follows you for the rest of your career in that company. I am not for anyone letting them make an ass of themselves, but you can only go so far in protecting people from themselves. I think getting them all rooms is way more responsible than putting a bunch of drunks behind the wheel and have them try to drive home, engaging in pedestrian target practice all the way.

• Handing out some guidelines for appropriate conduct is not uncommon in hotels. We do it frequently depending on the type of group being hosted. For example, when a sports team stays at one of our properties one of the rules is "no cleats in the lobby" - we expect the team's coaches to enforce this among their charges. If it's skiers at our mountian property, it's "no skis in the guest rooms" (we have ski lockers available downstairs). This is not rocket science and frankly, I was as amazed as most people that people even need to receive such guidelines. But unfortunately, common sense does not always prevail when you're dealing with large groups of people. I personally think a set of guidelines under the circumstances is appropriate.
  • I just read Don's post as I sit here and eat my lunch. Won't do that again. I didn't think too much of the initial post based on a recent experience, but Whatever's post got me to thinking about it. I'm probably closer to Beagle's position, though.

You would think that people would have enough common sense to dress and act appropriately. Probably they do know better, but choose to ignore their upbringing and revert to childish behavior. In September we had a banquet honoring all ee's who reached the 5 year milestone of service. It was held in the restaurant of a local hotel with a good reputation - actually the best in the county, but a ways below the Ritz in status. One of our more colorful mfg. associates showed up in his work clothes of the day which included a muscle shirt. His muscles were not worth showing off. It really was out of place, but we all survived.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-18-03 AT 01:07PM (CST)[/font][br][br]OK Parabeable. You're the hotelier here. So, let's have your list of conduct rules and behavioral admonitions for a group of adult employees of ABC company. No cleats in the lobby, for a bunch of soccer kids is one thing. No skis in the rooms for a bunch of college kids is understandable. But, No feces on the walls, no shoes in bed, no flushing of hair curlers, no spray paint on the TV screens, no urinating in the hallway, no hanging over the balcony without a spotter......c'mon. But, I await your list. P.S. You are allowed to confer offline with Ray. He will have some excellent ideas.
  • You sure that this isn't another one of those college kids term paper projects????
  • I don't know. Don't think I can confer with Ray on this one. I'm not sure I can trust a man who plays a trombone.

I'm not talking about an elaborate guide. Just something simple that is given to each guest (or pair of guests) when they check in. Give 'em their room keycard, perhaps a brochure on the hotel itself, and a list of guidelines. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Something like "Welcome to XYZ's 2003 Holiday Party. We hope you enjoy your evening. As a way of thanking our valued team members, your room is being paid for by the Company and we hope you enjoy the accommodations. Instructions for local and long distance telephone calling are located near the phone in your room. There is a minibar available, but please remember that the Company will only pay for room charges. Telephone, minibar and other charges not associated with room rental remain the responsibility of the employee."

Personally that's about as far as I would go. HR, undoubtedly, is going to know who stayed in what room the morning after. If any of the rooms are trashed, you deal with the infraction appropriately. Just because the inappropriate behavior is off-duty doesn't mean the conduct can't be dealt with.
  • Smart guy, Beagle. Us trombonists are shifty characters who just slide through life.
  • >But, No feces on the walls,
    >no shoes in bed, no flushing of hair curlers, no
    >spray paint on the TV screens, no urinating in
    >the hallway, no hanging over the balcony without
    >a spotter......c'mon.

You forgot to add the following:

-No beer bongs in the ballroom, no Jagermeister body shots on the CEO's wife, hmmmmm, what else?

• I guess we had more faith in our employees that they would know how to dress and behave at a formal dinner dance at an upscale hotel. When we used to have these events, it was a grand occasion for those that you label "not familiar" with a ritzy hotel. The women would spend weeks looking for a new dress and talking about what they would wear - it was a big deal. While we didn't pay for hotel rooms, we had a block of rooms at a corporate rate. I don't recall anyone trashing them or any really bad behavior short of the usual few who got really drunk. There are always going to be those that over do it. I can't imagine why your company would have a function somewhere that you have doubts your employees can handle appropriately. I would never consider sending them a checklist - it's insulting. I think you would be surprised at the level to which people can rise to.

Elizabeth
  • A reminder of expected "professional conduct" certainly seems in order to me, for ALL employees before a social and/or business event. We have a written policy and before attending our annual 3 day board of directors meeting (200 member board plus guests) those staff of us who attend are reminded verbally and in writing of the policy which is:

"XXX staff members are highly visible professionals in the XXX community and must take care to represent the XXX and internally and externally convey the standards of professionalism which are those of XXX. Staff members are expected to use good judgment when conducting business and to adhere to high ethical standards."

I would expand on that for a strictly social event, possibly reminding people that drunken/wild/etc behaviour would not be tolerated. I also agree that you should state that only the room charge will be covered and the "extras" will be billed to the individuals. I also think you should have a cash bar only or limit the "free" drinks to 2 per person.

• Maybe the problem is that employees think that these company parties are little "bubbles" where their actions have no consequences.

I would make it clear that being invited to company events is a privilege not an entitlement and anyone acting innappropriately should expect to not be invited to future company events.

Paul in Cannon Beach
  • Judy: If I didn't think you were serious, I'd think you were joking.

• Has this type of behavior happened in the past? If so - why choose to continue with such an elborate Holiday Party? Scale it down to something maybe that everyone is more comfortable with.
  • I don't understand why some people find the idea of "rules of behaviour" to be so surprising. I'm attending a very large (6-8,000 people) black tie invitation only charity ball this weekend and in the information sent out about the ball the following was included:

"Approximately 8 XXX Police will direct traffic and 30 XX officers are on hand inside to ensure that everyone has a safe time. There is a “zero tolerance” policy on disruptive or belligerent behavior."

This is a huge party event involving mostly professionals, who are most likely "used to the ritz" but even so ....
    Why shouldn't a large company event expect as much. Granted you wouldn't need the police officers but "zero tolerance" on poor behavior, in my humble opinion, is the only way to go.
  • Well whatever, NY, you should consider yourself very fortunate that you have always encountered exempliary behavior from your staff at all times.

I however have been in the hospitality profession before and have encountered less than "professional" people when it comes to such events. And all of things I listed ACTUALLY happened. So, maybe before you decide to take attitude with anyone, especially on a BB where 80% of communicational skills are not able to be expressed, you could reserve your nasty comments and ask for further clarification on a statement.

Anyway, for everyone else I appreciate your input and insight. I think at the very minimum we will discuss what charges will be covered and which ones won't. While the majority of our staff will be on their best behavior there are always a few that you need to spell it out for.

• Ok, I just have to say something here. What is the purpose of the list of rules? If Joe is going to indulge in inappropriate behavior (however that might be classified) is he going to stop.....smack himself in the head and say "#-o Shoot! I just read on that rules flier that I'm not supposed to............. I guess I'll have to think of something else to do."

• I just want to say that reading these Christmas party threads always gets me into the true spirit of the season!

My wife, let's call her Scrooge, stopped me from buying eggnogg in the supermarket. She mumbled something about cholesterol. I'm thinking, isn't that what life insurance is for?

Merry Christmas everyone!

Paul in CB
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-18-03 AT 08:45PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sometimes, it's the best thing NOT to be one of the first responders to a post, but rather wait, like a fine wine, to respond later after the conversation develops. I love it.

In reading through this entire thread, I have to say that I agree a little with just about everyone. It sounds like an awesome party and that the company is going to a lot of expense for it's employees - kind of unheard of in this day an age. The spirit of generosity and willingness to throw caution to the wind & spend a bundle for one night for each employee and a guest is truly amazing - what a great company. x:-)

Reality sets in though, because as we all know, some employees will take advantage, some will complain about the amenities, the cost of the drinks, the decor, etc. & others will be extremely grateful & appreciative of the company's efforts. Here's the rub. About 10% (or less) will fall into the category of taking advantage/complaining and the rest 90% (or more) will fall into the other category. Don't become the party police and rain on the 90% group's good time - just to manage the 10%. I like Parabeagle's idea of an outline - friendly, as they come in the door - include the good stuff (what's free, schedule of events, etc.) and the 'bad' stuff (mini-bars are not comp'd, drink minimums, etc. - by the way - drink minimums were discussed on another thread & the idea is to hand out 'drink tickets' maybe 2 per person) - also make sure the good stuff outweighs the 'bad' stuff. Don't take a heavy handed approach as some suggested & don't do nothing - find the balance (the friendly outline). Anything less or more, would ruin the spirit of generosity and willingness with which the party was intended to provide. x:-)
  • I like mwild31's reply. I, too, like to read threads the whole way through before responding. I have to admit that the way JM's initial post was worded did set up the hackles on my back (is that the right phrase or idiom?:-? or is idiom the wrong word too? ok, I digress). To make assumptions that a certain class of people don't know how to behave in certain settings is wrong. I've seen executives flagrantly violate "codes of conduct" at parties and business social settings and "lower level" employees act just fine.

But, I do like the guide that's handed out to employees that reminds them of the amenities and what is covered by the company and what isn't. I LOL'd x:7 at Lisa's reply who described an employee who had planned to trash the room until he read it on a Rules of Conduct list. Good one! th-up

JM - sounds like your company is really in the spirit for your holiday party. Should be fun - good luck!
  • My turn? I have been involved in arranging holiday parties for all company employees. They were held at a very exclusive country club. The manufacturing personnel were mostly unskilled and a tad above minimum wage. Got the picture? Every year our employees exhibited class, conducted themselves with decorum and enjoyed the event tremendously. The only “advise” I gave them prior to the evening was related to alcohol consumption and driving.