Does anyone know who I call?

I had a department manager call me today with the name and number of a collection agency that has tried to reach one of her employees three times. Three times she has talked to the same agent and told him he cannot call here again (of course he has no supervisor). Anyway I told her I'd report them - but to who?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In my state, I'd start with the state attorney general's office. I think they enforce this, but, if not, they would refer me appropriately.
  • That collector is violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If your dept. manager informed the collector that the employer does not allow those types of calls at work they are supposed to stop calling the employee's place of business. You could call your Attorney General's office with a complaint or the Federal Trade Commission.
  • This happened to me at home (person who had my number before me never paid a bill) and I couldn't believe filing a complaint actually worked - but it did. In Mass you start at the local level unless your local city/town does not have a consumer protection group and it escalates accordingly. I was lucky, the complaint I filed with the city did the trick.

It is important to note that some states do allow calls to a workplace, it depends upon the state's individual collection order. And collection agencies always seem to find a way to break the rules either way and be as nasty and rude as they want to be.
  • Even though some states may permit calls to the workplace, federal law prohibits continued collection activity if the collector has been told that no calls will be accepted at the workplace.

And truthfully, they shouldn't even be telling YOU that they are attempting to collect on a debt.That is also a violation of the FDCPA.

As suggested before, notify your Attorney General. The employee in question may also want to make a separate complaint.