Employees fighting off company premises

We have two individuals who are having difficulty getting along.. on one hand, there is one who seems to be the "instigator" at times, however, the other one has had a warning a couple of years ago for threatening another employee while at work. ("I'll knock you out") Anyway, one employee showed up at the other's house, again, trying to get him to fight. (Didn't happen.)
How far can we go "counseling" an employee(s) for this kind of behavior when it happens on their own time and not while at work?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Leave it alone unless it's inside the gates or on company business.
  • Off company premises, nothing. But, I warn them that if their conflict carries over to the workplace then I can act and will. I will also warn the instigator that they could have civil problems if the other party presses charges, in case they don't realize there could be consequences far worse than anything I could do.
  • KYMM: Turn to your employee handbook/your policy manual, what does it say. Ours is written to cover these types of situation and I have had to apply the termination route for both ees. The one going to one's house to futher the pressure started at work could be arrested by the police if the other employee chooses. Until there is a blow rendered and a counter blow in return, we the company leave it to the authorities, to investigate and then terminate both employees for fighting off site. Fighting must be a two way confrontation for both to be terminated. A one way fight with the other defending and warding off the blows renders one aggressive employee terminated.

PORK
  • I disagree Pork. SO someone comes to my house, instigates the fight and after getting hit 3-4 times I say enough, defend myself and you are going to fire me?
    Personally I would not let it get to that, if a hostile employee showed up at my house I would call 911 ...........tell them to send an ambulance right away.........for the gunshot victem. x:D
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I believe the rule in MO is that you must drag them across the threshhold before you are defending your castle.
  • If they are fighting outside of work, surely this is affecting them at work too. (How can it not?) Focus on how it is affecting their productivity and the team's morale.
  • I'm going to echo HRQ. I would not get involved in the issues, unless it's affecting work - it's affecting work if the rumors, gossip, boasts, etc. are running rampant through the company & therefore affecting production (work slow downs, excessive talking, work avoidance, etc.). If this is occuring in a simple, five-minute or less meeting, I would meet with both & let them know their conflicts with each other is disrupting staff & while at work they need to work together & communicate with each other in a professional manner. What they do off premises is their own affair - and should stay that way. Don't try to mediate their issues - they are grown-ups (?) & should manage their own issues. If co-workers are getting into the mix & again it's affecting work (slowdowns, excessive talking, etc.) meet with the co-workers involved & tell them the same. People don't have to like each other to work together, but they do HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER or someone (or both) has to go for the betterment of all.

How did you find out about the one worker going to the other's house? If someone showed up at my house, they would have a lot of esplaining to do (Dezi reference)to the police. x:-)