Race of Applicants?

Those of you who are required to have an AAP plan.... how do you keep track of the "race" of applicants when all you have is their application or resume (not interviewed.) I have been told we should just "guess" to the best of our ability but wondering if anyone else has a better idea.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • As a part of our application process, we include a page that asks them to voluntarily identify their demographics. This is keyed into our tracking database.
  • As with Don's employer we ask people to voluntarily identify their demographics on applications. The problem is with resumes submitted by mail, fax or email. With those, I use male or female white as a default. If they are from Japan, went to school in Japan and have a Japanese sounding name, I catagorize them as Asian Pacific Rim. Or whatever other demographic they appear to fit in depending on their origin.
  • I have a few ee's that are Middle Eastern including Israeli. There is no category for that region. What do you guys do?
  • I had the same problem with a Moroccan gentleman. We catagorized him as European since Morocco is in Europe. So I guess I'd go with whatever continent Israel is in... is that Europe too? Sad I don't know for sure. We recently got a PeopleSoft upgrade that includes more selections.
  • Middle Eastern is male or female white. If someone does not fit one of the specified minorities, then they are automatically white. Even people from the country of India are classified as white even though some are very dark complected.
  • Uh-oh. I thought people of middle eastern descent or from India were supposed to be in the Asian category....?
  • The correct title is "Asian Pacific Rim". People from the middle east or India are not Pacific Rim. So, I include Chinese, Japanese, and all Southeast Asians. It can be very confusing.
  • Our Indian employees are classified as Asian.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-13-03 AT 12:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Morocco is actually in Africa, not Europe.

The Race codes are

Black-A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.

Asian-A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian sub continent.

Native Hawiian/Pacific Islander-A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii or the Pacific Islands.

Native American/Alaskan-A person having origins in any of the original people of North America, and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.

Hispanic-White-A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American or other Spanish culture.

Hispanic-All other races-A person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American or other Spanish culture and a race other than white.

White-A person having origins in any of the original people of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East.

hope this is helpful

also-if the person does self identify, you must use the classification that they use, because that is what they consider themselves to be.
  • I also have one page form separate from the application but clipped to it. However, some time ago I began only accepting applications from people I personally talked with and saw. Resumes are handled by a mailed self-identification form. Very few of these are returned so I keep the resumes in a separate file to be produced on audit but don't include them in my applicant flow.

You can't track what you don't know.