Hiring Employees to Perform work in coworker's home

Does anyone have a policy or experience or advice regarding the hiring of staff to perform a service outside of the official employment relationship? Now that I've written that, let me explain. EXAMPLE: We are a child care agency. We have classroom teachers/supervisors who hire staff members to come into their homes and provide childcare for their children. What could be the fallout from such a practice? You have a subordinate in your home--what if something happens? What if the subordinate doesn't "feel" that they can say no?
In all my years in HR, I just haven't been asked to analyze this before. But, I know it has happened in all industries. I hired a staff member to repair my roof once. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We are a childcare company also. Our enrollment agreement states that our staff are not allowed to "babysit" for our clients, so please do not put our staff in an uncomfortable position by asking them to. Having said that, I'm sure it happens without our knowledge anyway. I hope that it doesn't happen between supervisors and subordinates, but honestly wouldn't be surprised if it does. I KNOW it's happened with our maintenance staff. (Install/repair residential a/c, etc.)

When someone has a skill that's handy, people will ask for their help. If the relationship doesn't work out and it affects the employees performance, then unfortunately we get to step in and help them find a way to work together. This happens even when there's just a friendly relationship that's gone awry. (Spent my day dealing with one of those yesterday)

So to answer your question - I'm against it, but it will happen anyway. Enforce professional behavior with your staff and occasionally play counselor. 8-| x:D
  • HRQ is right on the money. I don't work in the childcare industry, but it sounds as if the scenario would make hiring staff people awfully tempting. However, common sense tells me it's not a good idea just from an employee relations standpoint, in my opinion.
  • It's a bad practice for precisely the reason you mentioned. A one-time event like your roof repair is very different than an on-going employment relationship.
  • This can be a bad idea. Supervisor arranged for staff to feed and water the dogs while she was away for the week-end. Staff flaked out on her and did not even show-up. When the supervisor returned, the dogs were ravenous, thirsty, and had done what dogs have to do, all over the house.

This staff was experience personal problems, later went through progressive discipline, write-ups, and eventually resigned. The whole disciplinary process was fraught with the implications of that awful weekend. If there are no performance issues in the mix, these off work issues do not have the same import as they do when the complications arise.

P.S. The dogs are fine now, but you can imagine how furious the supervisor was, and how do you not carry that anger over to the workplace?