Receptionist Training

Hello all, and thank you in advance for any input. I am having some issues with our receptionist and have decided that above anything else she needs some training. (She does not seem to know how to put a call on hold to answer another call.)
Has anybody used an outside source for receptionist training? If so who and how did it work out?
My $0.02 worth.
DJ The Balloonman

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with my receptionist! Time and time again I explain to her that she must put a call on hold to take other calls - and she always says "I DO". However, somehow the overage calls always get to other ee's cover lines. I am tired of dealing with her, but my boss says "don't sweat the small stuff".

Sorry - no helpful info on training. I have never had to "train" a receptionist. Most people understand this part of the job.
  • We have a receptionist who does the same thing even when she is on personal calls. So I to await any recommendations I see posted.
  • Skillpath ([url]www.skillpath.com-I[/url] think)

Offers some great classes for the front desk types...we've had some great success with them. The seminars can be pricy at times, but we figure it's well worth the investment when we could be looking at a long trip through the tiers of discipline and then the inevitable UC hearings....

Good Luck!!!!
  • Try [url]www.LORMAN.COM[/url] they have some great seminars, been to a few. I think I just saw something recently on FRONT DESK/RECEPT. TRAINING. Good Luck!
  • Although those seminars are great for teaching your receptionist how to deal with difficult callers, front desk safety and disolving the large groups of people who hover at the front desk, they are not going to teach her how to put a call on hold.

Who is responsible for your phone system? Who knows how to use it best? Is it possible this person can do a little one on one time to train her?

Also if you have a temp agency that you work with, they might have on site training that they can help with, but they won't have your phone system.

Do you know how to use the phone system? If so, maybe you can design a training guide in how it should be used. It doesn't take long. I wrote a script in two days on how our receptionist should talk on the phone. That was our issue.

Good luck.

• Sometimes it is a matter of setting up a script for her to follow. Phone etiquette and her responsibilities.

Does she have a job description outlining her position?

Sometimes it can be hard to interupt someone on the phone but I think spending an hour with her should do it. If she is on the phone with a customer the phone is ringing, she needs to be able to say to them, please hold a moment.

Most phone systems are fairly easy to understand if you have a manual for the phone system she can read up on its capabilities.