To "pimp" or not to "pimp", that is the question

I'm about to go into a training session on anti-harassment among other things and one of the young men has a baseball hat on that says (he wrote it on there) "pimp hard" and on the back it says "hoes". Is that even spelled right? I think I know how I'm going to handle it, but just curious, what would you do?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would like to know a little more about this ee before I'd make up my mind on what I'd do. Is this a problem ee on a regular basis? Are they on anykind of warning already?

My first thought is to demand that he remove his unacceptable attire and thank him (sarcastically) for being a prime example of why a training class like this is needed.

And unless he's a gardener, the hos is spelled wrong. But then I don't think a lot of "pimps" and "playas" pride themselves on being grammatically correct.
  • Regardless of the spelling, it's inappropriate, and hopefully the employee will figure that out after the non-harassment training. All it takes is one other employee to be offended.
    By the way, are you really going into a non-harassment training at 9pm EST? Impressive!
  • Yes, 9:00 pm eastern. I'm blesssed. We are in a manufacturing environment with 4 main 12 hour shifts. So we come in late to do the training for the night shifts. I'm actually in Orlando right now. One of our facilities is here. I actually used him as an example of how to report harassment. I asked the class if the words pimp and ho offended anyone. As soon as I said it he slumped down in the chair. I told him it offended me and he immediately grabbed a pen and marked the words out. It was a great example because, he didn't get mad at me, we addressed the situation and it was over. I did say however if he started to treat me badly because I complained I would tell my team coach. I have to say it was interesting. First time anyone came to my harassment class wearing a "pimp and ho" hat.

• Sounds like you handled it perfectly, direct, to the point and objectively, not emotionally.
  • This guy may now turn out to be the best ee you ever had. Why not approach him at the break or end of the session, pull him aside and tell him, "Julio, I hope you didn't mind my using your hat as an example in my class. I didn't mean to embarass you, but, you helped me make a point and thanks for that. I think you can be one of the best players on our team."
  • Additionally, buy him a company hat and get him to swap; plant the hat in future sessions and give this ee the credit for the real live training opportunity, use it until you wear it out! He will be so blessed for the recognition of a very clear seperation of fact and emotions on this topic and the impact of a piece of clothing and the message they send whether ment or planned!

Good post,"Dandy Don", you are so inciteful. PORK
  • Great point Pork. Unfortuneately he already marked out the words. Maybe I should make my own. I could wear it on the weekends when I do my "pimpin'" ;>).
  • I did talk to him after the class, thanked him for providing a great example and shook his hand. He smiled and said no problem.
  • I just have to share a funny story. Last Wednesday evening at choir practice we were going through Christmas music and the Asst. Director was talking and reviewing music. The word Hosanna was separated on two pages and in the midst of her talk said the "Ho" is on the other page. She didn't get it - we all started laughing and she says "What is so funny?" Two seconds later she realized what she had said and turns red and burst out laughing. She couldn't keep a straight face through the song while we were singing and kept laughing at herself.

Was toooo funny!
  • On another bulletin board "PIMP" means "peeing in my pants" (from LOL)x:-)

So I was quite interested in this thread after reading the title.

Thanks for the laugh!