Ideas Needed!

In our organization, supervisors are used to going up the chain of command with staffing needs and employee issues. As a person relatively new to HR, I really want to show upper management that this is a worthwhile and necessary function to them. However, I am generally used for more secretarial duties. They agree that everyone needs to be educated about how to use HR, but don't know how to teach them. Any suggestions??

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-11-03 AT 09:33AM (CST)[/font][p]You say you are relatively new to HR, but what is your background? Almost needless to say, all recruitment should go through you. You would know more about hiring practices than other department leaders. I would review the hiring process meticulously and standardize it.

As important, I would want to be apprised if there is an intention to separate an employee. Reveiw that process also.

Look at the employee handbook, job descriptions, policies, etc and make sure they are current. Look at how the company observes FMLA, FLSA, grievances, discrimination, etc.

If you don't have a strong background in employment law, find a course in employment law updates and sign up.

Maybe you could update (or develop) your own job description and send each supervisor a copy. That should establish to them what you do.

I couldn't imagine being handed secretarial tasks in addition to HR functions. I hope your company learns to appreciate you - and soon!
  • I have a BS in finance. I've been in HR for a year and a half and have learned a ton in that time (definitely not saying I know close to everything because no one ever can). I have reviewed the handbook, I create job descriptions, policies, etc. I've discussed my concerns with my supervisor and upper management and all of them agree with me, but don't know how to inform people about my function. Everyone here is very set in their ways and we need a nice way to educate everyone as to exactly what I do and what they need to do with me.
  • Does your company have a set of HR Policies and Procedures? Feel free to contact me at [email]dkrawczyk@yukonfuel.com[/email], if you would like to discuss this futhter. I may have some ideas for you.

Dan
  • The main thing you need is the support of your supervisor and those above him/her. Then you should draft communication to all dept supervisors (& all ee's if applicable) instructing them that they are to contact your for all HR needs & give specifics of what you oversee. Next (and is where the support of your supervisor etc comes into play) whenever someone tries to go around or above you, they are instructed that they MUST confer with you 1st. It's the only way to stop the existing habits.

Been there, done that, but with the support of those above you - it is possible to teach old dogs new tricks.

Of course, you need to be sure that you have the knowledge & authority to fulfill their needs. If they come to you & you have to consult upper mgmt before you can address their issues, you've lost the battle.
  • HRhero has a wonderful training program which is what I used to get my foot in the door as a very important member of the team. 10 DANGER ZONES FOR SUPERVISORS. I call it "Prestage Farms, Inc. Leadership development in the management of our employees". Over the last three years I have been given the opportunity to teach the principals of leading employees using the material in a multimedia classroom setting for 4 hours each week for 4 weeks, with the last module being a "train the trainer" unit on how to train our employees on "How to: I use a multitude of topics and each student is required to teach another student something of fact, a given job task". This method has cemented my level of importance, because no one knew about FMLA, discrimination, harassment, etc. and everyone was to scared to admit it, they were all dumb and I helped them to become knowledgeable about the human element of the orgainzation. On paper we are a "HOG FARMING BUSINESS", the truth is we are a people business, like your business, our HOGs are "widgets" that once put into our working environment can not operate on their own, they can do nothing without the human element. Without us the HOG would die! Grow to become an HR with a lot to give to those operations/accounting/logistics worlds. The more you give the more they will come seeking your advice and consent. Without you, they will be defending their personal actions forever and a day and costing the company money which they all understand better than they understand HR functionality.

May you have a Blessed future as a strong member of the corporate team!

PORK