Fill in the blanks training

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-06-03 AT 11:17AM (CST)[/font][p]I work with a trainer who always uses a fill-in-the-blank format in training presentation materials. For example, the booklet trainees get is full of "The customer is always ________." and "Our ___________ are our greatest asset." The entire training manual is presented like that, all of the factual things as well as the motivational cliches. It is supposed to keep the audience's attention and keep them on the right page. I think the audience feels they are being treated like children who must be monitored and controlled. The trainer gives them all the words that need to filled in. Is this a common presentation approach? What do you think of it?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sorry, I think it stinks. I haven't seen your training materials and I filled in the blanks. Employees should be able to apply knowledge to situations, not fill in the blanks.
  • I tend to _____ with RAD. This so-called training is rather __________ and does remind me of the way ________ are treated in elementary school. Now, your dilemma is, how do you tell the __________ to change his methodology?
  • i just love the way Don____ provides such wonderful entertainment. This place is definitely addictive.
  • A trainer should always know his audience. Do your trainees get a chance to critique the trainer at the end of the session? Whenever I bring in outside trainers (or when I do the training, for that matter) I always have the audience critique the performance and provide suggestions for what worked and what didn't for them. The critiques are anonymous and handed out at the end of the session and collected before they leave. Then I share this feedback with the trainer. So far this approach has worked very well for me.

But you're right. If the audience feels they're being talked down to, the training is next to worthless.
  • Maybe the trainer should solicit volunteers to form a committee, preferably previous graduates of his program, to assist him in revamping the program. I agree with __________, ___________, _______, and _________. I will bet none of the volunteers will suggest a fill-in-the-blank format.

Maybe they'll try:
    a) multiple choice
    b) choices of multiple answers
    c) answers in multiple choice format
    d) a facilitator who promotes discussion in groups and doesn't require more paperwork.

x:D
  • I asked why he didn't request feedback and he said that people complained about things outside his control, such as uncomfortable chairs. Either that or they were too timid to criticize anyway and just gave all positive marks. Circle all of the 5s and get out of there.

• My company does lots of training and I personally do training. I never use fill in the blanks for all the reasons stated above. I think you ought to dump any trainer that doesn't ask for feedback. He/she isn't intrested in improving their materials or skills if they don't solicit feedback.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-07-03 AT 12:45PM (CST)[/font][p]I use a fill in the blank outline format for on part of my OSHA training. When I implemented it, my most critical employee indicated on the training evaluation that they liked it.

Maybe the fact that it is not common info and the blanks are all arranged differently, keeps it from being demeaning. I do think it helps keep attention in a not real exciting subject.
  • It could depend upon the situation. I wouldn't suggest using them all the time especially for "gimme" ones.

A few ideas for how to get feedback (1) offer a prize drawing for those completing the form - (free lunch, gift certificate for $15). Each participant can be given a raffle ticket when turning it in to assure anonymity (hope this is spelled correctly).

(2) revise the questions being asked - ask about the presenter, content, etc.

(3)get them new chairs (will show you listen to their feedback) :DD

(4) ask for their input on subject content & presenters - helped us get more participants (works especially well if a certain number of training hours are required).

(5) vary the method of delivery - some audience feedback format, teleseminars, outside presenters and internal people.
  • Read Margaret Mofords post again, she is a pro at this and is steering you in the right direction.