shareing employee illness with workforce

I know this was discussed recently...but i couldn't find it by searching, so i'll just bring up the topic again.

We had a manager send an email to the workforce stating that an employee died of cancer...we are now concerned that this may be a violation of HIPPA or some other policy beyond basic good taste...

any thoughts??

Thanks!!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Even if HIPAA doesn't apply, revealing of confidential information (even on someone who is deceased) should never, never happen without permission. I am not only writing about a diagnosis (which should never be posted). For example, we always ask family members if they want addresses and/or phone numbers posted. Many do not. On occasion, we have even had requests from family members that funeral arrangement not be revealed.
  • If the family agrees to have the obit info shared, I'd say that is just the information that the employer should share with the rest of the workforce.

• You know, I was titillated by the subject heading and now I feel cheated.

I was morbidly curious to learn what illness your employee was sharing with his/her coworkers, and whether it could lead to hiring a company urologist.

• At a minimum, I suggest you have some basic training with your supervisors and others who might be privy to such information about the pitfalls of disclosing employee medical information -- especially in the age of HIPAA. You're right. This manager exhibited extremely poor judgment.
  • I am not disagreeing with those who said this should be private. I agree, but I can't imagine someone having cancer, which usually requires some time off for treatment, and the whole workforce not knowing already.

Where I work, while I'm figuring out the tactful way to say something and making sure not to violate someone's privacy, the grapevine has already spread the news. Most times when I'm shocked that everyone knows something, I find the individual told their buddy, who told his buddy, etc. Remember the old game, Gossip?

• HR: I don't disagree, in fact, that was my first reaction. The department was small and everyone knew. BUT I guess the question isn't really "should this be a secret" but rather "Should the employer (even by way of its management) be the distribution source for this type of news/confirmation?

Sorry about the interesting title and bland question!!!! x0:) but it got your attention!!

I understand the need for privacy, but sometimes wonder if we're going overboard...it's nearly impossible to work with other human beings and not know some of everyone's business. We are social creatures.

• We had a long term employee who passed away from cancer. While we did not annouce that she passed away from cancer, we did announce that she passed. We also brought in the EAP to assist her department and co-workers in dealing with their grief.

Employees will know when someone is out sick. Most would like to go to the services, especially in the case of a long-term or well liked employee. I doubt the employees family is going to come back and say you violated HIPPA by letting my (mother, father, etc.) co-workers know that they had passed, especially since obituaries are public knowledge.