Background checks – What do you do???

We have always had a general policy that our branch managers will do background checks before we hire an employee, but it looks like we have many different interpretations of what a background check is.

Before I go and draft a very specific policy on what we are going to do in the future, could you please give me some ideas of what works for you and what does not work for you.

I have never had good luck getting info from a personal reference (unless it was a past supervisor). Normally past employers will not give anything except dates of employment (myself included).

Rob S

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would take the function of background checks away from line managers and move it in to the HR dept. That way you are assured of consistency and that confidential information is not floating around. I don't know what kind of business you are, but we are a financial institution and we conduct, state and federal criminal, SS verification, go back for 10 years on employment, education verification and drug screen and driver's license for those that will drive company vechicles. We do not contact personal refrences. We use a service for all of our background checks.
  • We set up a program with the PA state police. This way no one in our office is actually responsible for digging up any information on a prospective employee. The police run a criminal check, which includes, for us, any felonies/drugs/child abuse/pending warrants.

We find that they have a great turnaround time...and it's saving us a ton of cash!

• I agree you should move this to HR. As for the types of background checks other employers do, this was in the HRhero.com Monthly Survey for July (Hiring). This was one of the questions:

For the typical job opening at your company, what types of background checks do you do? (Check all that apply)
    85% Contact prior employers
    75% Contact references
    59% Criminal convictions
    37% Driving record
    26% Contact colleges or high schools
    16% Credit check
    4% None of the above

If you're an Employment Law Letter subscriber, you can see the complete survey results from 2,500 people in the Subscribers Area of this website. (You'll need your password.)
    [url]http://www.hrhero.com/lc/survey/archive.shtml[/url]

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com