EE fired for drugs, clean wants to be rehired

We have an employee who was fired a few months ago, because she stated to a few employees that she was on "ice" - her vocalizing this came at the same time that she was having very eratic behavior.

She came to see the GM where she worked yesterday and said she was clean, had gone to rehab, was in NA,(like AA for drugs) and had the support of her family. She wants to get her job back.

Is this even an option, can we have her provide documentation that she was either in rehab, or take stmts from her parent?

Thanks
Mag-

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • documentation for rehab is fine. what kind of ee was she before erratic behavios?
  • She was a good employee, enough so the GM would consider the rehire, and he has a heart for giving people a second chance. I will most likely have her communicate through me directly rather than the GM. Later giving him the ok to rehire
  • Our policy is to rehire an ee terminated for drug use only if they have successfully completed rehab through an approved provider and if there is an opening and they qualify for that position. If rehired, they must submit to monthly drug screens when we do our random testing.
  • We have a policy that provides for random drug testing, however we do not do them at this time. Each ee signs for this policy, and I dont have alot of exposure to drug testing, except injury related cases. "Could we just have her take one unannounced?
  • In numerous situations, the employer requires that the ee submit to periodic drug tests at their expense, as often as monthly. Other employer policies I've run across will consider rehire after 6-12 months following program completion. The recidivism rate notwithstanding, there should be a testing mechanism in place if she is rehired. One positive following re-hire cuts the cord for life. Congratulations for her for attempting to redirect her life. the odds aren't in her favor, but you can pray for her.
  • Don's comment about recidivism deserves some pondering. It is my understanding that the average cocaine addict takes 7 trips through rehab before it sticks. This stuff is very difficult to whip. Hopefully your ee is one of the individuals that makes it first time, but be a bit cynical and skeptical to protect your company. It might also be wise to restrict her access to items she could liquidate for cash. I intensely dislike the necessity for this type of action and applaud your company for its second chance attitude, but if you have ever experienced this with someone close to you (like a brother), you will understand.

Good luck.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-04-03 AT 02:29PM (CST)[/font][p]Don't know "ice" but know and understand enough of the others to feel compelled (sp)to echo Marc and Don's comments. You didn't define "few" months but my guess is that's 3? Why don't you see if she makes it 6 and then rethink it? We would require 12 at MINIMUM. Good luck. .
  • Personally I have a few friends in my life that have had the struggle.
    We do "as a company have a big heart" but always want to watch out for the best interest of the company. I am meeting with the individual this afternoon personally. If she is attempting to use her assets to resecure her position, it won't work with me. I too wish there was more time between the request for rehire. It has only been 3 months.
  • Our policy requires six months before rehire, a clean pre-employment test, and monthly mandatories for a year at random intervals. It's been used a couple times and so far I'm 2 for 2 to the good - but neither was cocaine. I thought ice was methamphetamines - not too up on the lingo I guess. No policy in place huh?
  • I applaud you for your caring nature and positive culture. I agree that there should be strict stipulations in place. In addition to random testing I would also hinge her rehire on her attending an after-care program in addition to her NA meetings.

By the way, Ice is slang for crystal meth. You'll know before the urinalysis results come back if she's relapsed. Meth users in active addiction aren't hard to spot.

Gene
  • I won't say my age, but I will say that they said it was "ice" and I had to say what's that? As for the testing, I am certain the company would not want to take on the expense of testing, at least the hourly's who come a dime a dozen. Our turnover is HIGH, mostly kids on the way out or just out of school.