Applicant Issues - Help!

I have an applicant who has applied for any available positions at least 15 times in the last 6 months. We have very low turnover (1.5%) and rarely have positions become available. I have sent the gentleman a letter every time he has applied (he doesn't even meet the minimum qualifications). He has now started calling me everyday, at least twice a day, to check on his application. I have explained to him every time that we have no available positions and that if we are interested, we will contact him. He is going overboard with all his phone calls and I have had it. What can I do to let him know we are not interested, never will be, and please stop calling (in a nice way of course). I understand he needs a job... but good grief! This is not the way to go about getting one. Help!

Amanda

xpray #-o

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "Dear Mr. Jones: This is to inform you that your skill set does not meet the minimum requirements of our organization. We will not be able to hire you at Acme. Additionally, I will not be able to take telephone calls from you from this point forward. I hope that you will be able to find employment in Gotham City; however, we are unable to assist you in that effort." Sincerely, Amanda Ingram
  • And if that does not work........can you spell r..e..s..t..r..a..i..n..i..n..g....o..r..d..e..r?

x:D
    My $0.02 worth......
    DJ The Balloonman
  • AINGRAM:

I have found it very easy to be more up-front and honest about their actual opportunities from the get go rather than tossing around good feeling and nice words that leave someone wondering well if I just be percistent they give me a chance. We have also moved our application process to the State/Fed supported job service system. Now I have everyone go to the job service to put their application/s in and then it is don't call me call them by.

PORK
  • Be honest and upfront with the guy and explain the situation. If that doesn't work - see response #2, from Baloonman.
  • The only thing I have experienced close to this had to do with an applicant that was "special" (read to mean very, very slow). We had a similar experience with the harassment and after an honest discussion, it turns out that his mother had told him to be persistent because it is one of the qualities employers look for. This gentleman had only applied to one company (a former employer of mine) and decided this company was going to hire him - period. When we finally understood the problem, we hooked him up with the local ARP (Association of Retarded Persons). They put him to work in their donated clothing room and that stopped the problem for us.

Perhaps you have a local chapter for this guy?