Matching SS numbers to names

Back a while, there was a threat regarding the matching of social security numbers to names. It had something to do with the IRS and submitting tax info. There was supposed to be some kind of fine if names and numbers did not match up. Can someone please tell me where I can get info on this? I called out local employer's association and they don't know anything about it. Our accountant has heard nothing about this either. How are we supposed to know about this?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like employers will be notified of discrepancies and have a chance to correct them before fines are levied. We have never had a problem with this.
  • MANTEL: Follow the previous postings to include the link in the last paragraph, which will get you to the SSA and verification of all employee SSN & NAME MATCHES. By the end of 2003 all employers will have to have verified all employee names and SSN's. The corrections range from obvious typos and out of place numbers and birthdays and gender incorrect to oops a foreign national with with no match at all thus the entire SSN your company used to enroll this ee is no good. Guess what you just caught yourself an illegal alien and what do you do?

FOR EVERYONE: I read a thread on another network that announced the SSA was going to open up the on-line test in which we have participated to everyone. To day I sent an e-mail to our POC, who is out of the office, and ask him to verify the truth in the thread. If so what information did he want me to put out on this network to get the word out to all HRs? As soon as I know, I'll let you guys know. It will be a Blessing for all of us, however, be prepared for the rush of 1.6 million illegals headed for the boarder. I had one leave today!

PORK