Is this my responsibility?

We are a union facility and whenever a job is posted, a copy of the posting along with a list of those who bid on the job is given to the union president. This morning the financial secretary came into my office and informed me that I needed to provide her with a copy of the two most recent job postings (something I don't remember doing before). I told her I already provided a copy to the union president and asked her why she needed a copy and she informed me that she just needed it for "her files". I know this sounds petty but this person is a constant pain in the XXX and I'm getting tired of her demands. Am I required to provide her with a copy or is this something she should address with the president?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you are supposed to supply them with something on a regular basis, that should be stated in your contract. If this is something you do provide and have provided consistently, you are under no obligation to again furnish it to another party (like the secretary). Although you may want to provide something she lost one time, I would make it clear to the president and to her that this will not become a practice. Declining the offer to become clean-up-flunkie for the union does not constitute failure to bargain in good faith on your part. I learned early on that once you tell union officials that you have provided something already in accordance with the contract, suddenly they seem to start keeping up with things a bit better.
  • What does the contrct say? If it does not spell out the details, then you could fall back on prescedent. On the other hand, if the secretary made the request in an appropriate manner I don't see why you should not oblige her. Believe me, I know how PIA's can be, especially union PIA's. But I've found that it's wise to sometimes go more than half way, rather then fall into a game of tit for tat. It will serve you better in the long run.
  • To answer your question, maybe. x:D

My $0.02 worth,
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I agree with Crout; it's your call depending on the type of relationship you have with your union. Unless it says in the labor agreement that you have to provide, you don't have to. I worked in a place once where if the union president had broken his leg in front of a member of mgt, we wouldn't have called for medical help. Didn't say we had to in the agreement. The situation also resulted in a strike during which a striker was killed on the picket line by being run over by a replacement worker. Bankrupted the company; no one had employment. I decided that's not the kind of er/ee relationship I wanted, and have worked hard to avoid that. Not to say that you're in that situation, but, it's your call.
  • It might be less stressful for you to just provide the pain in the XXX a copy and forget about it. People like that can make my blood boil and I let them stress me out. I think her sister might work here.