Males wearing earrings.

Please advise how you all handle men wearing earrings. I have a client
that wants to hire a man who has earrings in both ears and wants to write a
policy against the earrings, however, he doesn't want to enforce it for the women. We are going to write a policy on extreme piercings, but not forsure how to handle this if he insists. Thanks for your input.

Comments

• 22 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm confused. Your client wants to hire a man with two earrings. This leads me to infer that your client has looked beyond the earrings to the man's ability and has decided to hire him. Then the client wants a policy addressing earrings. Can he look beyond them or can he not? Seems to me he would have told the man in the interview that he wanted to hire him but preferred he not wear the earrings. There's nothing illegal yet about that.

This is a subject of much discussion on The Forum. We don't address it where I work unless it creates a machining/safety hazard in the manufacturing areas. But, your client is free to establish whatever code he thinks he can enforce. Some suggest written policies limit earrings to one per ear. Good luck with your client.
  • I agree with Don. We had a director who one day came in with a diamond stud in his ear. A lot of eyebrows were raised, even though no policy either way, it went against our "culture" for a person in a leadership position. The VP, his boss, was very concerned. But, later I found out the VP had worn a stud in his younger days. Well, next this director started "chasing" some women on the floor in manufacturing - he was the mfg. director, but there were 2 levels of supervision between him and the women. He was going through a messy divorce at the time. His performance started to decay. Long story short, within 6 months he was terminated for performance issues. I would look beyond the earrings for something deeper.
  • Hi Vicky - I've been in a similar position - so I think I can relate. Your client wants to hire a man with earrings in both ears - but doesn't want the person to wear the earrings while working for the client - am I correct in assuming that the client sees beyond the earrings towards the applicants skills and abilities & is impressed by both, but is uncertain if customers would be able to? If this is the case - let the applicant know that you would like to hire him, but as part of the job/image, he would not be able to wear the earrings at work. If the applicant agrees, no problem - if he doesn't agree - hire someone else - if he raises religious objections - then hire him so you don't get in trouble for discrimination x;-).

The workplace is the company's domain - if it's not an image your company wants to project - then put together the policy & leave it at that. Guys will complain about unfairness, ladies may too - but dress codes are still up to the company to decide.
  • Unless they pose a safety hazard or are detrimental to the livelihood of the business I see no reason to single out men who want to adorn themselves with jewelry, sweaters, or have a couch in the bathroom, etc. It is time that the male of the species is treated as an equal. OK, I’m ready for the stones to fly my way and I’m already in the fetal position under my desk.

By the way, in our manufacturing environment we allow tight fitting earrings for any worker regardless of assumed gender as long as there is no safety hazard involved.
  • I agree with you Safety. Move over. I'm gettin' under there with you. (nobody wears earrings for religious purposes, or lip plates either)
  • Not true my friend - in India and in other other countries - earrings are worn for religious identity.

And by the way boys - when women make as much as men, then we can talk about equality and the need for men, in order to be truly equal to women, to wear earrings to work. x;-)
  • Mwild, are the earrings worn by males for religious identity? I have no problem telling men they cannot wear earrings, but at the same time allowing women to wear them. It is culturally acceptable for women to wear them in a business setting, but less so for men. Is it appropriate to the particular business?

Along the same line, we hired a program manager about 3 years ago who wore a long pony tail. Hirsute men were culturally acceptable at his previous employer and the radical appearance was even encouraged. He realized, we being much more conservative, that he stuck out. And that was not necessarily good for his career. He now has extremely short hair. He made the change on his own to better fit in thinking it would benefit his career. He was probably right.

Right or wrong, we all tend to gravitate toward those we feel comfortable with or who most resemble us. Someone considered radical will not fit in with the suits and ties of a conservative organization and vice versa.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-29-03 AT 01:50PM (CST)[/font][p]"Right or wrong, we all tend to gravitate toward those we feel comfortable with or who most resemble us. Someone considered radical will not fit in with the suits and ties of a conservative organization and vice versa."

Excellent case Ray for why it's up to the employer to determine what they deem as acceptable attire/jewelry for it's employees.

ps - the earrings are worn by the men.
  • Piercings in our workplace are getting more numerous. Not just the ears either, the ones that are visible include eyebrow, nose and lips. There are several navel piercings that our policy says should not be visible, but they do get shown on occasion. I am certain there are others that I do not know about and would not want to see - in any event, the piercings are more prevalent in some of our departments than others and we allow them. The only place we restrict them is for a small group that works directly with young children. They are often fascinated by piercings and will pull and tug on anything that is bright and dangling - so it is a safety issue for that group.

• "Right or wrong, we all tend to gravitate toward those we feel comfortable with or who most resemble us. Someone considered radical will not fit in with the suits and ties of a conservative organization and vice versa."

There is a wonderful film called "A Penguin in the Land of Peacocks" (or vice versa, I forget). And if that one doesn't give ya something to think about, try "A Tale of "O" -- On Being Different". I recommend it to you highly and anyone else wishing to learn about diversity issues.

To hire someone who wore earrings during the pre-employment interview and then write a policy forbidding it, is stupid and asking for trouble.
  • Before you write up that earring policy, make sure you are ready to be consistent with the policy and its enforcement. You should have some good business reasons that justify the policy. Also, you may need to include a paragraph for people who just had their ears pierced. New piercings can't be removed for a couple weeks. You may want to allow those folks to put a flesh colored bandage over their ear during that time period.

Also, do you have a general piercing policy? Lips? Nose? Eyebrow? Chin? How many ear rings can females wear?

We do not allow men to wear ear rings here because we serve a conservative clientele. Our justification is that we are not trying to put attention on ourselves.

Personally I think its fine for men to wear ear rings in some environments (Starbucks, tatoo parlors, hip clothing stores).

I myself have an ear ring hole in my left ear that is the lone remaining vestige of my formerly chain-smoking, poetry writing, leather jacket wearing, tragically hip self.

Paul in Cannon Beach, OR
  • At a former employer (hospital) there was a policy that forbade men to wear earrings, but at the same time, did not forbid women to wear "discreet, non-dangling earrings". A male employee wanted to wear a stud earring in one ear and was told he could not. He took issue with this and sought counsel on it as it did not pose a safety issue and was "discreet". We were advised by our legal counsel that we should not have a policy written like this unless there was a safety issue as to why males could not wear earrings.

At my present employer, we do allow males to wear the small earrings. Our policy is written to forbid any dangling, distracting, noisy jewelry. We also forbid any visible tattoes or body piercings other than the earrings (by either sex).
  • Rockie - did your legal counsel seriously give you that advice? I'm all for following the law - when there is one - what law did they cite in your instance? What protected right was the male employee missing out on? I know you're just following their advice - but let's carry the logic a little futher. It also says in many dress code policies that women MUST wear skirts or bras or pantyhose - in an effort for equality should those policies also state that men must wear the same things? I mean, if we are all about equality here - why stop at only the jewlry when crying equality foul? Fashion has changed and men want to wear earrings - fine, great, cool - but don't drag equality into the mix - how ridiculous!

There very well could be genuine business reasons for the policies and I would make sure I knew the business reasons for the dress policy before it was instituted - if there's a business reason against males or women wearing earrings - then I would treat the request as bogus - and shut it down right away.
  • Mwild: As serious as an employment lawyer can be...I guess. In their "esteemed opinion" they saw it as a form of sex discrimination and there was no good business reason to keep a male from wearing an earring while allowing females to wear them. I also see the point of the same thing in any wearing apparel. There has to be a point where businesses can portray the image they wish to project to the public - personally I find spandex on 300 pounders offensive.

Anyway..glad I don't work for the hospital anymore. I now have the sole joy of writing the policies for our practice and try to keep them as generic as possible while giving enough leeway to the business to run like a business without being overly restrictive.
  • Vicky:
    I don't see the issue here?? Wearing of earrings by men has been well accepted in our culture for nearly 20 years now. As long as the earrings are tasteful, and not outrageous or flamboyant, I don't see any reasonable grounds for banning them. If you were to ban earrings, I think you'd have to ban them for both women and men, or open yourself to a discrimination charge. (BTW, I have both ears pierced, and wear one tasteful earring to work every day... no one has ever made a negative comment about it)

• >I don't see the issue here?? so long as the earrings are tasteful, and not outrageous or flamboyant

The issue is this; whose definition of tasteful, ourtageous or flamboyant is used? If the employer does have a right to define those terms for his business, then he has a right to enact policies that comport with his definitions. I have an engineer here who, almost daily, argues that our policies are not 'fair' and are not 'reasonable'. It boils down to whose definition do we use, his or ours. Of course the answer is that the company defines fair and reason in the development and application of its policies. We can go on all day long about who likes, doesn't like or cares less about men wearing earrings and whether or not codes 'should' be asexual in application. But, as long as a company has a right to establish such policies and is not prohibited from doing so, then it may do so.

• I think Ray had a post that I completely agree with regarding knowing your company's culture. I think this holds true when interviewing - you find out all you can about that company including the culture. If the company is conservative, then as an applicant, I would probably dress very conservatively for the interview. Our company allows both sexes to wear one earring per ear and I think this was to appease the many younger employees. The reality is that no executive will ever wear an earring. And they will have short hair, no facial hair except a neatly trimmed mustache and will dress conservatively. If one wants to climb the corporate ladder, talent alone will not be enough - one must mesh with the culture.

Elizabeth
  • And these headquarters are in SAN FRANCISCO???
  • Hey, this company was started in 1938 by two brothers - two conservative brothers and it's just never changed. And just FYI, we are actually in the Bay Area and we actually don't have a store in San Francisco proper. And Mr. Don, most of the people out here are amazingly normal. So,there!

Elizabeth
  • Relative to culture, I did a preliminary phone interview today and the candidate asked about our "dress code" for management. She explained that she is the type to jump in and "get her hands dirty" and will not dress up just to appease someone's idea of proper dress. I explained that we are a casual company - Dockers, but no Birkenstocks. That put her at ease. The point, she was interested in our "culture" and was concerned about her fit and not sticking out as an apparent misfit. At first the question seemed odd, but then I realized it made sense and I appreciated what she was trying to accomplish. Same with earrings.
  • she is the type to jump in and "get her hands dirty" and will not
    >dress up just to appease someone's idea of proper dress. I explained
    >that we are a casual company

So, when this 300 pounder shows up in spandex and a muscle T-shirt with a belly button ring, remember your conversation with her. She put you on notice with the quote above. What she may have realy been saying to you is, "Hey, I'm a slob; is that OK with yous guys?" From your post, you did not tell her, "We do have expectations, however, and the policy is not defined by each individual employee."
  • Good point, but here is the rest of the story. She is the manufacturing manager with our VP's previous employer - he had worked with her for 20 years. If she were as you described, he never would have recommended her. With someone else who was totally unknown, I would have been a little more specific.