Union organization attempts

I need some advice on how to go about dealing with a local union handing out there cards, etc. at one of our sites. What's the best approach to get involved and get them, hopefully, to go away????

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If they are on your premises, tell them to leave. If they don't, call the cops.
  • Could you give me some more, expanded advice. I need to formulate a strategy now and am clueless on what to do.
  • I recommend hiring a legal advisor to help with this as there are many legal issue involved. There are legal eagles who specialize in this area and now would be a good time to get them on board.

• I agree with Don D as far as immediate action goes. I suspect, however, that you are now seeing what, until now, has been covert activity. My union avoidance (specifically organizing) track record isn't great, but I can tell you some things that you may want to be aware of at the early stages, particularly if you have never been exposed to unions. I'll give you my Reader's Digest condensed version:

1) Ignoring them hoping that they go away is seldom a good idea. You need to have a game plan in place.

2) Object of the game (for now) is to prevent them from securing enough signed cards to either petition for an election (30% signed cards), ask you to recognize them as the bargaining unit absent an election (over 50% signed cards) OR petition the NLRB to issue a bargaining order if they secure over 50% cards and they can show serious ULP's (unfair labor practices) have taken place.

3) If you can stop card signing before they reach the 30% mark then you should be ahead of the game. Remember that no one has ever lost an election that was never held!

I would ask Don D to give you more advice since he seems to have quite a bit of experience with unions.

Keep us posted.

Gene

• So, NA is this your first experience with union organization on one of your sites? What were you thinking was the best approach - other than this forum - where are you seeking your answers from?
  • MW: Might you have on your sceptics hat?
  • Don - I'm so glad your back xhugs - yes my skeptics hat is on - still on to tell you the truth.
  • Not my first time, but first time in a long time. I have our legal counsel onboard and security on it.
  • I worked in a union shop many years ago when in college, but no professional experience. I have attended union avoidance workshops and the main thing emphasized was to run your shop as if there were already a union in place. Do everything, and more, that a union would do for the ee's and take away the need for a union. My boss spent 30 years in a union environment - big 3 auto - as both an HR manager and Union rep. He hates unions and he runs HR as if we worked in a union shop. Make sure management treats the people respectfully and fairly. FAIRNESS, is the key and HR should make sure it happens. Do the little things for the ee's that make them realize how good they already have it.

And for starters, like Don said, kick them off your property and call the constabulary if necessary.
  • Thanks...that's the approach I/we take. i was in a hardcore union shop for the past 7 years and understand what you're saying. I just a little light in the avoidance experience.
  • I worked for a company that was nonunion. A union organizer showed up on our door step handing out post cards and union propaganda. The President of the company, when he heard about the visitor, actually took a baseball bat and held it to the guy's head and threatened him with his life.

Two years later, the guy came back with several of his thugs. It didn't work that time either. The employees were intimidated by the appearance of the gang.

Moral: You have to be ruthless (but abide by the NLRB rules)to let these organizers know you will not play thier game.
  • >I worked for a company that was nonunion. A union organizer showed up
    >on our door step handing out post cards and union propaganda. The
    >President of the company, when he heard about the visitor, actually
    >took a baseball bat and held it to the guy's head and threatened him
    >with his life.
    >
    >Two years later, the guy came back with several of his thugs. It
    >didn't work that time either. The employees were intimidated by the
    >appearance of the gang.
    >
    >Moral: You have to be ruthless (but abide by the NLRB rules)to let
    >these organizers know you will not play thier game.

Back during my days in Philly, it was the Teamsters that showed-up with the baseball bats, threatening to break both knee caps, capisce?
  • Yeah, Ritaanz; but by the second time they came back, cars had been invented and the cops could get there much quicker. x}>
  • Ok. I think now is the time to advise you that your references to my age do not disturb or bother me. Although my chronological age is the same as yours, my appearance, attitude and performance (ahem!) is comparable to someone 2/3 your age.