Need to Remind - Do I Include Me?

Every year I have to remind one of the Owners of the Company that it is time to complete Performance Appraisals and submit raises. The problem is I am also on this list annually. I need to send him a list once more and always feel he might think I continue to remind him for my own benefit more so than that of the others on the list. Partially true I guess - but if it came to them or me - I would vote them, they are not paid so great and I know a lot of there personal situations. The Accounting Department is 5 months overdue and I am a month. We have all gone as a group more than 2 years without raises or Appraisals. The other Owners (his brothers) continue to tell me to keep on him... there is only so much I can do. Do I keep my name on or take it off?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have to do the same thing and I leave my name on the list. I feel that I am an employee just like the rest of the people on the list but if it did come to them over me that would be OK because so many of our employees are underpaid as it is, I would be happy to go without for awhile and let them get an increase. I simply give my boss the list and let him do whatever he deems necessary. If I were you I would submit your list and say nothing.
  • LOL, same boat right now. My boss has been late on a few reviews. Mine was due in August. He apologized just yesterday. Not to defend him, but we are in a significant growth spurt, very significant, I have brought up others that he has been behind on, and he has said he appreciates me keeping on him on these. I don't push mine so much. Funny thing after yesterday I told him I would do it for him, the majority of it, he can finalize it. I see the increases other have been getting and based on feedback from other senior management and how I have been treated I am comfortable that I will be taken care of.

Is it a little frustrating, yes, but 5 months late for a whole department is bullsh*t. I have him 30-45 days behind. But he sold 4 jobs in the last 3 months that will provide enough revenue for the company for 6+ months.
    Leave your name on the list focus on the ones that are the latest, try to educate him on the morale issues it creates.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • For some this is awkward and for others it's not - it sounds like you fall into the first category (I do as well). When I used to have to put this information together for the CEO - I would do so in a report format - this way my name just appeared on the report like everyone else's - rather than an email or a personal conversation. Keep your name on the list my friend - good luck!
  • He has assumed Branch Operations within the last couple of weeks and I knew this would slow things down. Last year I continuously reminded him from home while on maternity leave and he did do them. When I came back - I walked in his office and asked what day are we doing my eval? He said not today - I laughed and said I will be back tomorrow. Within a week upon my return he had it done. Any of you working for a family run/owned company know how things work. He knows the value of getting evals completed of time, has every intention of, and then things side track him. I will keep my name on and continue to remind him. Thanks!
  • I bet this is common everywhere. I am lucky that my boss actually initiated the process last year. That time is coming around again!

Last job, my boss actually skipped an entire YEAR of manager reviews. Weekly, I'd stand at his desk, list in hand, toe tapping. He finally did mine just to shut me up, I'm sure, but never did anyone else's that year. 8-|