Age discrimmination

I am 63 years old and plan to work for several more years. I retired from one HR position and have worked for my present Company (a Manufacturing Company)for a little over 3 years. The Company is about to close it's doors due to overseas competition. I have recently applied for several HR Manager type positions but when employers see on my Resume that I have over 30 years experience (all except my present position was gained in the Federal Service), I never get a call for an interview or any further inquiry. I have very good experience in all areas of HR plus a BS Degree and many HR type training courses. I always include a cover letter covering aspects of my experience, etc. that is not covered in my Resume. I have become very discouraged that I never get a call for an interview and only find out that the position was filled by someone else by calling the employer and inquiring as to the status of the job. I really believe that the reason that I do not get any opportunities for interviews for jobs that I KNOW I AM WELL QUALIFIED FOR IS THAT THE COMPANY HIRES A YOUNGER PERSON. I FEEL THAT I AM BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BECAUSE OF MY AGE (63) EVEN THOUGH MY JOB PERFORMANCE, INTERPERSONAL SKILLS AND ATTENDANCE IS VERY GOOD. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR (AND HAVE SO STATED IN MY COVER LETTER THAT ACCOMPANIES MY RESUME) A LARGE SALARY AND HAVE MY OWN BENEFITS (HEALTH/DENTAL INSURANCE, ETC). How do I overcome the age part and if it is actually age, how can I find out the age, experience, etc. of the person
hired?? IT GETS VERY DEPRESSING TO ALWAYS FILE FOR JOBS AND NEVER GET AN INTERVIEW. I DO NOT WANT TO FILE AN AGE DISCRIMINATION COMPLAINT WITH THE EEOC BUT I AM VERY FAST GETTING TO THE POINT OF FILING ONE. OLDER EMPLOYEES ARE GOOD EMPLOYEES AND BRING TO THE JOB A WEALTH OF EXPERIENCE AT A SALARY/BENEFIT EXPECTATION LEVEL THAT WOULD BE EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN WHAT A YOUNGER PERSON WITH FAMILY OBLIGATIONS MIGHT NEED. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • How about limiting your resume experience so that it doesn't reflect 30+ years of experience, maybe just the last 15-20. It would still be accurate and maybe head off some of the people who shouldn't be but are weeding you out because of your age. Once you gotten the interview then you can obviously disclose more info.

just my .02
  • Wow - how frustrating this must be for you.

The very first question that came to mind is "is he applying for positions that just don't require that much experience?"

With all your experience, you would probably run circles around me in my job, but I imagine you'd probably not be hired because with all your experience, you would at some point become bored, not challenged, and leave. (Read "overqualified")

Of course, as the interviewer, I'd never share that opinion with you, but this is possibly what I'd think. Based on your resume, you could be 17 years younger and still have 30 years of experience. I am terrible at judging age based on appearance - do you actually tell the interviewers that you are 63 or are you assuming they figure this out?

It's clear that you want to work, NOT file a claim with EEOC. If you are applying for jobs that simply don't require your level of expertise, maybe simplify your resume a bit? Include all the experience, but don't sell it quite as hard. Or apply for something higher up the ladder.

I had to do a bit of assuming here - I hope I helped, even just a bit. x:D

Good luck!

• LARRY in GA: Brother, I share your feelings and just pray to the Lord above that I do not have to undergo another RIFed action. The last time was 5 years ago and I had been through 4 previous RIFs. The GM told me the only reason that my resume and personality got a consideration was due to my "cocky opening words", which went something like this: "Mr. Emerson, you can stop your looking for you have found your next Director of Human Resources with a winning personality, that is willing to work hard for less money, than I am truly worth; I live in the immediate area and there will be no relocation expense to deal with. Whatever your concerns for HR issues were before me, you can start dreaming about how great the future will be with me on board. There is no task in this arena that I do not have the requisite experience, I love hard work and dedicated service, with extra hours."

I hit a string of problems that this company had from LOVE IN THE WORK PLACE, to misappropriations of company property for person interest, to never enough time on the ee's side to get the company work done, UI & W/C issues, etc. The young man (GM) gave me a call and arranged for an on site interview that afternoon. At the end, he let me know he had several more people to interview but he liked my age (58) at the time and my experiences. He knew I would not be involved with the women in the company and I come from an age of a good work ethic, and I was physically present. He interviewed others but on Friday of that week I was offered the position. I told in writing what I wanted in compensation, he discussed the matter with the President and I came to work, been here 5 years next March.

It can happen but I have become increasing aware of the reality of age and it is as you say difficult and very depressing. You may have to challange a few companies where you know you have the highest qualifications, through the EEOC system. That is the only way to know for sure; heck, others with less case status than yours use the system! I hate EEOC, but wrong is wrong and your resume will not hide your age, your interview will not hide the graying or white hair, or the pouching stomach line.

Good Luck!

PORK
  • LARRY: Just another thought from overnight worrying about your and me. You might try orienting your resume and approach toward HR speciality fields such as: EMPLOYEE BENEFITS, MEDICAL PLAN ADMINISTRATION, EMPLOYEE RELATIONS, WAGE/SALARY/BENEFITS MAMAGEMENT, ADMINISTRATION & OFFICE MANAGEMENT, ETC. each of these with larger companies could very easily be looking for an older person with experience. Competition in these specialized arenas can be "tuff", but your age and proven work ethic may just be the answer.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you something that might be of use if you do not already have one. With your years of experience you probably do, but it want matter if you have two. This is one of the tools that I used in the interview process that has helped me to overcome the age issue.

PORK
  • Well, since you were 60 when you got hired for your present position, you know there are employers out there who will hire employees at least close to your age. As you also know, many times us 'government employees' have somewhat of a stigma attached. : ( Have you thought about work in a government postion again, where your experience is most applicable? The advice above has merit. One other thing you might try is to 'admit' your age, but be forward about being willing to work for several more years. Some employers will certainly think that you won't be around for very long. Being close to your age, I empathize with you, but keep trying, we hire individuals older than you on a fairly regular basis.
  • Larry:
    While you may be viewed as "older than desired" don't give up the ship. More and more employers today are recognizing the value of experienced staff and are shifting. Clean-up your resume and cover letter to be less specific in terms of years of experience (e.g. considerable, seasoned, demonstrated track record........) Your objective is to successfully pass the desk review and have an interview. While filing an EEO claim may offer instant satisfaction, it'll lead you down a long road with little ROI. You won't want to work for someone who is "forced" to hire you and the economic windfall for this is not likely to mirror a lottery prize, so stay focused on doing your thing. Your experience will speak loudly to those who know better and while you'll have to sidestep a few who don't know better, you're really going to be better off. Keep up the faith------
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-03 AT 06:25PM (CST)[/font][p]All of the advice already given is excellent - I would just add a couple of points:

1. Don't list your graduation dates on your resume or application (I'm sure you don't, but, well, I'm not sure - so don't x:-))

2. In your cover letter - let prospective employers know that the company you're with is closing their doors & you're one of the last ones out. This should show the reviewer that you're only leaving the company because of closure - not for other reasons & your current company believes you're valuable enough to hang on to until the very end. I work next to a very large manufacturing company that has let go of over 30,000 employees since 1999. I give higher precedence to the ones that left recently as opposed to those that were laid off in 1999 - generally, 1999 employees were let go for a reason x;-).

3. Make sure your cover letter sounds upbeat & not arrogant.

4. If you're applying for positions that are generally below your level of experience - send in an alternative resume. The way I look at it is, if you were applying for an engineering position, you wouldn't send in your HR resume - you would send in a resume that is structured with engineering information - even if it's within the same career field - the same principle applies. The resume gets you in the door for an interview - in the interview you can cover what your minimum wage requirements are and the rest of your experience.

5. I think the current national average for finding a new job in management is about 6 months - and it could be higher in your region - research this as it may help when you are feeling discouraged.

I have to say - I'm not in your position, and even though I would hope there are good employers out there that walk the walk, the sad truth is that for every good one, there's usually a couple of bad ones. If you feel as though the EEOC is your only option - then do so knowing you're going to make a difference for others and yourself - hang in there x:-)

• Like HRQ, I will have to do some assuming, too. I think Pork's approach has allot of merit, be up and aggressive in interviews. You have experience - do you focus on what you have achieved for your employer and what you can and will do for them if you get that position? Being older and mature can have it's strong points. However, I am in your age bracket and have felt that if I got RIF'd, I just retire now because I really don't think I could get hired elsewhere at my age. Don't mean to bring you down, I have other issues such as, unfortunately,being way too specialized and I think employers want generalist nowadays.

My best to you!

Elizabeth
  • Your pain and frustration come through your post very clearly. I may be a bit off base here, but part of what you are feeling is the depression associated with still being in a company that is closing it's doors. The HR profession is currently a bit out of balance with supply exceeding demand, and while I do not want to downplay your feelings about age discrimination, I believe that at least a part of what you are experiencing has to do with that very real factor.

I also want to say very firmly, hang in there. I work in a non-profit environment and while this is not federal service, there are many overlaps and similarities. Consider contacting local non-profits involved in community service. If they do not have openings, see if you can volunteer to help out. I will tell you that they often cannot afford to offer the benefits you carry with you, and that they often would love to have some help with things they rarely find the time to get to, such as updating their employee handbook. One thing you may find heartening is that it is not uncommon for volunteers to turn into employees in this field. Also, look into local temporary agencies. I bet in your own experience, you have hired from this kind of pool after being able to check out the persons work ethic, etc.

Finally, get through the grieving process associated with losing your current job. Put it all the way behind you before interviewing - and get active in that volunteer suggestion. I wish you great good fortune.