Condesending Supervisor-HELP

I am new to the HR position in a very small company. All of about 10 employees in the office. Our company has seen a slowdown, so the owner hired a new manager to try to uplift everything. The owner also placed me under this new managers supervision.

The problem...He is a mean, condesending, threatening supervisor. He has terminated employees, goes around stating he has absolute power, uses the term "Are you looking for other employment" to employees up to 3 times a day. I am even nervous writing this.

Now, I have 3 employees wanting to make formal complaints. How do I handle this.

Help!!!

Comments

• 26 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's nothing in your post that indicates that this supervisor is doing anything illegal, so if the owner has faith in him/her, it seems like you're out of luck. As long as he/she is an equal opportunity jerk, it's just a bad situation. Doesn't the owner see the behavior and its impact on employees, or can you bring it to their attention? That's about your only hope - or, polish up your resume.
  • I was under the impression it was illegal to go around making comments about an employees position. I also thaught that HR could do something if someone in particular was making the work environment hostile. I have outside customers calling and asking "who does he think he is". I have at least two employees on the verge of quitting. They are really good employees too, willing to do anything.

• As Hunter noted, what about the owner? Are they not seeing this? Can you go to the source ( Manager) and try to have a heart to heart?

• agunter2, no, it isn't illegal unless a member of a protected class is being singled out. The others are correct that it is not illegal to be an equal opportunity jerk. However, I would think that your employer would not want to foster a climate where employees are being treated poorly. I can't imagine it does much for productivity and it is just bad business practice. As was stated, you need to talk with you employer and if he condones this, then you might want to consider moving on.

Elizabeth
  • It seems like the new managers actions don't match the owners expectations if he is really trying to "uplift" everything.

A couple of comments. It is not illegal to be rude, condescending, mean, etc. These characteristics may, in fact, be the reason the new owner hired the guy. It would not be the first time ownership did not share their real agenda with the ees of a company. I am not saying that is what is happening, but in my opinion, actions always speak louder than words.

If you are an 'At-Will' state, and the terminations don't have discriminatory actions associated with them, there may not be anything formal to complain about. If however, the complaints have some merit, you will need to deal with them just like you would any other complaint.

Have you had a chance to sit down one on one with the new owner and ask him what is going on? You may get some insight from him about how to handle the new supervisor.
  • Your version of uplift may not match the owners vision. It sounds like he/she is trying to stir the pot and make some things happen with in his/her company. Is he/she going about it the right way? Maybe not but from what you've said not illegally.

My advise is to try and get together with the new leader and get a feel for what he is trying to acomplish and then offer some suggestions on how he might be a bit more motivating while trying to achieve his goal/s. I would also be polishing up the old resume just in case.

Sorry I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, good luck
  • Formal complaints? Who would they make their formal complaints to - you, the owner or an outside agency?

If they make them to you, then take down their complaints, let them know that the only way something can be done is if you talk to the owner about their complaints & then speak with the owner. If they make their complaints to the owner - let them. If they make them to an outside agency, like others have already said, they won't get that far with their complaints.

In the HR world, this is where you have to develop objectivity with complaints - yes, you may share the employee's opinions, but when presenting complaints to the owner - you have to remain objective. Honestly, it sounds as though you are in quite a pickle. Because of your size, I bet the person hired in to 'uplift' everyone is a friend or somehow personally associated with the owner & if that's the case, you'll either have to buck up to this new manager's style or leave. If I'm wrong, then there probably is another agenda in action here. I really dislike it when HR doesn't report directly to the owner/CEO/president and this is a prime reason. Sorry I can't offer more advice - other than to say life's too short to be miserable - so be happy.
  • I believe an organizatin asssumes the character of the guy (or gal) at the top. Others have suggested the character of the supervisor may be just what the owner wanted. I'll be more blunt. Yours is a small company. How could the owner not know what's going on? What you see is exactly what the owner wants. I wouldn't bother going to the owner with concerns. He may listen politely, but inside he's happy as hell because the new guy is 'shakin things up.' Sorry, but I think you're in for a miserable time. Wish it wern't so!
  • If (when ) productivity drops because of this new person you will have some proof to show the owner that he is not working out. Hopefully he does not blow it off as an unfortunate coincidence. Other than that, everyione is right. Nothing you can do, unless someone leaves and claims contructive discharge but thats always a tough call when everyone else decides to tough it out and stay.

Does your place offer new manager orientation and training? His attitude may have been perfectly acceptable in his previous place of employement. Sometimes folks need to be trained on the new and different culture.

How sad.
  • Here is what I am planning on doing, please tell me if I am missing a step or you see something wrong.

1. I am having the employees that came to me complete an incident,Complaint form.
    2. I will take this to the owner.
    3. Try to find resolution in an objective manner.
    4. If none found, I am afraid that we will lose the highest producing employee we have.

I know that some of them want to take legal action stating a very hostile environment. He even snoops around desks.

• Have you spoke to the owner at all about this? I'm not sure how walking into the owner's office with a stack of complaints will fly, especially if this is the first time he's hearing about the problem. I would try talking to him first, let him know you've been told of a problem and employees are ready to take the next step of filling out the complaint forms. The additional development of desk snoooping is not good. I realize we don't have a huge expectation of privacy at work but if my boss was going into my desk I'd be furious.
  • They really are furious. I have even put something in the inbox for the owner and then was pulled into the office by the supervisor cause he said he went to put something in the owner's box and found what I had put in there.

The owner does know of how the supervisor is, but to what extent he is going to, I don't think he knows that. When I first met the supervisor and was told what was going to happen, he was condesending and a jerk right in front of the owner. Later I said something about it to the owner and he just said "ya, I don't know why he was like that, but I am not above terminating supervisors". I also know that the owner is wanting to move onto new endeavors and move away from being in the office so much, this he has done. He is rarely here.

This supervisor is a very good, strong sales guy and I believe that is exactly what he has done, sold himself to the owner. He was previously a Loan Officer then stated what he felt he could do with the company and the owner thaught it was worth a try on a contract basis of initially 3months, but the supervisor changed it to 6months, and if he doesn't bring in revenue within that time he will no longer be here.

• One example is like this morning:

He called me into his office and ask me if I had been keeping track of the people coming and going late or early.
    I said yes
    He then asked to look at the list and stated that I obviously had not been this week. (Keep in mind it is only Weds.)
    I asked who I had missed.
    He said "It didn't matter he had it all up here (pointing at his head).
    I then left his office.

• OK, so now do I let my owner know what is coming or just bring in the complaints?
  • Holy smokes! I wrote my comment below without thinking of the most obvious - I should have my HR hat revoked! Here's the obvious - have you thought about scheduling a meeting with the supervisor in question & outlining the complaints from personnel as well as your own? I know it can be difficult - but, it may be best to go that route first before involving the CEO. If not, go to Plan B.

Plan B. Go in with the complaints. How you present the complaints and your concerns is up to you. In your situation, I would ask to meet with the owner. Once the meeting has been set up, go in and give him the complaints from the employees, state your concerns regarding their complaints (loss of talented employees) and then state your own. It sounds like you will be the only voice of opposition in this scenario - so make sure you have documentation (i.e. the permission from your fellow co-workers to use their specific complaints & names). Also, see if you can have a solution as well. Right now the owner is enjoying being away from work - what can you or others do that can allow the owner to continue doing so in the case that the supervisor is let go. If you need some help with recruiting ideas/wording let me know. Good luck. p.s. The only other thing I would say - just stick to the facts - don't become overly emotional in the retelling - be prepared too, the CEO could very well take everything you say to the supervisor & then there will probably be some form of retaliation from the supervisor. Don't let this scare you, just be prepared.
  • I think you need to do something that is seen as a positive step vs. being viewed as the complainers advocate. Can you set up a meeting with supervisor, try to clear the air, and explain you are there to support his efforts. Go on to explain that you perceive there are some issues that need to be put to rest and you would like to help him. He may feel like he is not being supported and that he has no allies, try to win him over. He's probably pretty stressed with the time element given him to fix things and some people don't deal well with that.

If he won't listen then you can try approaching owner but I think that might be risky and could be a career limiting event at your present job.

I don't envy you, but feel strongly you can turn this unfortunate situation around and maybe be the hero.
  • Tell the owner this: By the time the end of the supervisor's six month contract rolls around, everyone else will either have quit or have been fired. And only the owner and this jerk of a supervisor will be left. Ask the owner if this scenario is what he wants, then show the owner the stack of employee complaints.

Chari
  • The guy has 6 months and the owner said he was adverse to firing supervisors.

I think this is important additional information. Being a small company, you should have some idea as to how much the owner values certain, if not all, of the ees. If some of the key ees are in danger of walking, will that change the owners tune? I usually say go directly to the source of the problem before you jump the chain of command. That may not work in this situation. If you can get to the owner in a non-threatening way, say in a breakfast or coffee meeting outside of the office, maybe you can ask him how far he wants to take this experiment. Perhaps he is willing to shake things up a lot and give this salesman a lot of room to do his thing, perhaps he is not willing to have his company completely gutted. See if you can develop enough rapport to find out how much rope he is going to give the new guy before it is used to hang the company.

After this meeting, you will know what to do with your resume.
  • Having been in a similar situation, I know the turmoil this type of manager can create. It seems to me the Owner wants to cut staff due to the slowdown. There are better ways to go about it than to bully employees into quitting, but some managers do operate this way. In our situation directors were advised of the behavior but did nothing because we were making money.

My guess is that the owner is happy with the situation.

Your options are: (1) Have a heart-to-heart talk with the owner and let him know that the best employees are leaving because of the jerk's behavior. (2) Talk to the supervisor. Let him know that HR is a resource for management and see if he will let you in on his agenda (which is probably to reduce expense by changing higher paid employees for new lower paid ones). (3) Get your resume spiffed up and start sending it out. ...Contact the local SHRM group as they may have news of job openings in HR.

Good luck!
  • Am I the only one who saw agunter2's post #2 that outside customers are asking who does this guy think he is? I'm assuming you need your customers. The owner may be looking to shake things up inside, but I'm thinking he doesn't want to lose customers outside. Nothing else gets someone's attention like written complaints by the people who keep you in business.
  • Very good catch Leslie. I noticed it, but forgot to mention it as part of the information I think the owner does not have. This may be the most compelling arguement of all. If this supervisor was brought in to make sales, the hill he has to climb get steeper with each customer he alienates.

If Don is monitoring these posts, I am certain he would reward you with the offer of a backrub. Well done.
  • OK- Let's see here. 3 ees are going to write thier reports tonight (none of them wanted to do it here)and give them to me tomorrow. I understand the owner wanting to "Shake things up" especially with a sales guy, but isn't that just what he should be? A Sales guy. I don't think this supervisor is ablivious to what he is doing nor do I think the owner is either. I do however, think that neither of them are aware of how far things have gone, and I dont believe they have a concept of consequence. I know the owner hired him for a reason, but pulling the company out of the red by laying off people is NOT bringing in more revenue, just spreading thinner what we do have.
    As for the way he is treating the ees including myself is just plain not right, I have heard ees say things like "I wanted to punch him" and "I walked out and almost did not come back" and "If he keeps this up I am going to quit". I also think that the one's who would really quit is not who they want to have quit. In my opinion with everyone as Stressed as they are, not because of thier jobs, but because of him, creates a very hostile unworkable envioronment.

Thank you everyone,,,I will keep you informed. Any advice is welcome!!
  • Hostile work environment relates to sexual harrassment (never can spell that darn word right.) You don't have that. What you do have is what Arizona calls constructive discharge...Evidence of objectively difficult or unpleasant working conditions to the extent that a reasonable employee would feel compelled to resign - if the employer has been given at least fifteen days' notice by the employee that the employee intends to resign because of these conditions and the employer fails to respond to the employee's concerns (if it sounds like it's out of a book, that's because it is.) If proven, these employees will receive UI - and possibly much more. What I don't know is if Oregon has such a law or some type of this law. Where's Beagle when we need him?
  • Parabeagle isn't here to give real life experiences in Oregon - but here's some research on the topic from the Oregon Employment Department:

"(4) Good cause for voluntarily leaving work under ORS 657.176(2)(c) is such that a reasonable and prudent person of normal sensitivity, exercising ordinary common sense, would leave work. For an individual with a permanent or long-term "physical or mental impairment" (as defined at 29 CFR §1630.2(h)) good cause for voluntarily leaving work is such that a reasonable and prudent person with the characteristics and qualities of such individual, would leave work. For all individuals, the reason must be of such gravity that the individual has no reasonable alternative but to leave work."

A person can read more at: [url]http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_400/OAR_471/471_030.html[/url]
  • >I am new to the HR position in a very small company. All of about 10
    >employees in the office.

He has terminated employees, goes around stating he has absolute power,
    >uses the term "Are you looking for other employment" to employees up
    >to 3 times a day.

>Now, I have 3 employees wanting to make formal complaints. How do I
    >handle this.
    >
    >Help!!!

agunter2,

What is your current relationship with the other office employees? It looks as though you were promoted to HR. Are you viewed as a supervisor? Is HR a separate department or are you seen as a clerical person with HR functions?

The company owner doesn't strike me as a powerful supervisor - maybe business-wise, but not a good manager. He has probably allowed a clique to evolve and now can't break it up himself. He may be unhappy about the office environment and has hired a thug to take care of that business.

How has this thug terminated employees? Has he run the terminations past you as HR? I get the impression that the owner knows what's going on and will be scarce for the house cleaning.

Be very careful and observant. If he's working on constructive discharge it won't be very obvious. Even total A-@#$%'s can have "absolute power" in their company - but that's where it ends. That's why we have DOL.

• This is an interesting situation and one I was in years ago. Although no one was being threatened with being fired, it was obvious from the "bullying" from the boss that that was what he was getting at. It finally dawned on me (and others in the office) that the boss was being a bully. Whether it was to push people out or what, we never knew. But once we realized he was being a bully, it was because we let him be a bully. So I was the one who spoke up the next time he started pushing and put a stop to it. One example was when he started badgering us about being in the unemployment line for not doing our jobs, I just advised him that I would be standing right behind him!

The point is, he will only be condesending and a bully if you let him. If everyone likes their jobs and wants to keep working there, then you have just as much of a right to tell him he can stop his behavior and you arern't going to put up with it any more. That might be just what he needs to hear to know that everyone is willing to make the company a success but you are not willing to put up with the added stress. Is is not illegal for him to do what he is doing, but that doesn't mean you have to give up your dignity or self-respect.

For me, in the long run, the manager was I had worked for was run off from the company and the stress level dropped immensely!