When/How to notify boss?

Last week I found out that I am pregnant with our first child. We are very excited, and I do not anticipate problems at work.

The sticky wicket being that, at my location, there are a total of 4 women, one is a grandmother (no longer childbearing age), the other 3(including me) are pregnant. Every one knows about the other two. To further complicate things, the first two are due three weeks apart, and I am about a month after that.

When should I tell my boss, and how do I tell him so that his poor head doesn't explode?x:-/

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Congratulations.....I would tell my boss as soon as possible so you/and your boss will have plenty of time to come up with back up plans while you are out.
  • Soften him up a bit with a fifth of Jack Daniels or equivalent first. Then send him an email telling him you're going to be about twelve weeks late getting to work.
  • Parabeagle, I like that idea. I think I will combine it with my idea to notify him at 4:55PM on the last day before my vacation next month. That way, I'll (hopefully) miss all of the fallout!
  • At least it sounds like you work at a company that doesn't mind pregnancy. For 5 years I've spent my time listening to my boss tell me that he misses the good ol days when he could fire women for "getting themselves pregnant". So needless to say when I found out I was preg I was a little nervous, but I chose to tell my bosses immediately (I'm Controller for the company). That way they could have plenty of time to hire a part time person to come in and learn my job. But being a typical office run by men they are choosing to wait until January to find someone to fill in for me in March. Remember I do the inventory (We do this quarterly) so that means the new person won't be around to learn about inventory. But hey at least I feel better knowing that they had 7 months to try and find someone.
    OK I'm not sure where that was going guess it's just the hormones talking..(Any of you that want to give us first time preg women advice on how to handle please HELP)
    I say tell the boss ASAP so that they can at least have the option of trying to get help. If they chose not to then don't worry be happy (sorry that's the wrong thread)
    Best of luck...When are you do?

• HRM, I'd spend the rest of this week creating an action plan for how you plan to cover your position in your absence - whether it's training someone else, hiring a temp, whatever. I'd also make a list of "stuff" that can just not get done during your absence. (If there is any)

THEN I'd go to my boss on Monday. The first thing my bosses have said when notified of each of my pregnancies is "ummmm - first, CONGRATULATIONS! Second - who's gonna do your job while you are gone?" Each time, I was already prepared with the answer to the question. (I've been labeled a Control Freak many times.)

Oh yeah - CONGRATULATIONS!(Now who's gonna do your job while you're gone?) x:D

In both cases, I was the only HR person and had to "pass off" a lot of stuff on other people. I also worked from home on intermittent leave after both babies were born, so nothing fell through the cracks.

MOMANUFACTURER - as far as the hormones go - just accept it as one of the joys (?) of pregnancy. When I'm NOT pregnant, my entire world must fall apart before I'll cry. When I was pregnant, I'd cry at the drop of a hat. I absolutely LOST it at a doctor's office once, over a minor error on my bill that was eventually resolved. x:'(
  • Congratulations on your babyhood. Maybe we can help you pick out a name. x:D

Your boss will probably be wondering if you're planning to come back after the baby. If you're pretty sure you will, you might want to tell him that so he doesn't get too bug-eyed.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Beware on using the forum for a name. I posted a question for help and mistakingly told my husband. (Not an hr forum junkie) He couldn't believe that I was asking total strangers for advice on naming our child. I tried to convince him that we are like one big family but it didn't work. So if you do use the forum...Keep it to yourself. Tell your SO that you have come up with a fantastic name when asked where it came from you don't really know it just did.

When's the due date?????? Maybe we could have a contest to see which goes into labor first.

• My wife wouldn't even let me name the dog. So, don't ask my advice.
  • >My wife wouldn't even let me name the dog. So, don't ask my advice.

Sounds like a sharp lady. Just had to respond as I laughed out loud.
  • Yeah, but I did get to give my older son his middle name. x;-)
  • My estimated due date is June 23, 2004. Don't know where that puts us in terms of a race, but we could always get a baby pool going!
  • Mine's March 13 so hopefully I beat you. A pool to guess what we will have would be interesting unless you are going to find out what it will be. We have chosen to let it be a surprise. Did a thing where you take your age the month you got pregnant to determine the sex. It says the baby will be a boy, but it also says that my brother should be a girl. So it's not foul proof.

Susan
  • Congratulations! It's a good thing to think of when to tell your boss.
    One of my key employees wanted me to be the 'first to know' before anyone else in this small office (of 11) but she wanted to wait for an 'opportune time' and thought her annual review would be the best time. Due to many factors, her reveiw got delayed 2 or 3 times. She kept asking me about it, and because we were not actually late with it, I didn't give it the urgency on our calendar as she may have wanted. She began "showing," and I, among others, noticed it, but didn't say anything. When she and I finally had the opportunity to sit down, she was well into her fourth month; she waited through the entire process of her review, we discussed her upcoming responsibilities and goals; I asked her (as I do with all employees) what I could do to make her work easier, better, what tools, support, etc. and about her physical environment. Still no mention. As we were ending and I was making the motion to stand up, she sid, "well, there is one other thing I wanted to talk to you about" and the tone and way it came out made a panic run through me...when she finally got out "I'm going to have a baby" I was relieved. (Other bad thoughts were running through my mind in that split second -- like she was actually resigning). She quickly followed that with saying she definately wanted to continue working and we could take the next several months planning how her job would get done - during her 12 week leave - in the meantime.

Now I can tell you I am thrilled she is having a baby -- the very first ever in our office -- but I'm also in charge of running a business, for which she is an integral part. There isn't anyone else on staff who can fill in or do her job. Temp help will not work so I will have to outsource to a professional agancy. But I am also condsidering telecommuting, or setting up a nursery in one of our conference rooms! (Well, maybe...but I'm afraid of the precedence.)

Bottom line, I appreciated that she wanted me to know before her friends on staff (her peers and companions), and that she had considered the timing, responsibilities, and planning necessary in the next few months.
  • HR MANAGER: I would tell the boss sooner rather than later. The sooner the boss knows the sooner you can be relieved of key elements of your position that requires daily work activity. In our policy one gets 12 weeks if FMLA is applied for, 8 weeks off for a c-section, and 6 weeks for a normal birth. Our short term disability pays for a total of 6 weeks and 8 weeks, accordingly. If one uses the full 12 weeks it will be without financial support, after either of the above time limits.

PORK
  • It's a case of personal preference - for mine, I waited until we were past the first trimester to notify family, friends and co-workers. Once you make the call though, would recommend making sure that the boss is the first one to know in your workplace followed by your direct reports if you have any (so you can start mapping out how things will be covered and plenty of training time) followed by peers.

Only reason I would recommend holding off longer is if you're concerned about being designated a key employee under FMLA. However, hopefully you work for a nice company that wouldn't do this as can't see where the benefit would compensate for the ill will caused - especially in an office with 2 other pregnant women!

By the way, Congratulations! Children are wonderful - they certainly give you a new perspective and in more cases than not make people more patient and less selfish.
  • I am the only HR person - as soon as I found out I told everyone. My boss was thrilled for me. A few days later I went to him and told him how I planned to have HR functions handled in my absence. I worked from home - in the evening and did an unemployment hearing two days after I was released from the hospital. That was just one of those things - I really wanted to win and didn't feel confident anyone else could handle it correctly. (We won) I work for great people, I still am able to work from home if my little one is sick.

Good luck and Congratulations. Post your picture 8 or 9 months along in your HR Hero T-shirt. No one will be able to top that.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-23-03 AT 09:52AM (CST)[/font][p]Thanks, I will be posting a picture soon (even if I have to bust out the tripod!) But, depending on how much weight I gain, I may very well post in my HR Hero "T" at 8 or 9 months. Heaven knows it should still fit me then!
  • Here is another hearty congratulations!

Yes, speak to your boss and be very clear regarding your intentions to return. Having been through this process often (56 employees, 52 are women), I can tell you from my perspective, accomodating the pregnancy and the weeks of bonding after are difficult, but manageable. If I know the ee intends to return, I have and end point in sight that will lead as back to 'normalcy' with respect to the position.
  • As I saw this late, and you've already gotten great advice, I'll just add my congrats.

PS - Strawberry Sodas - the old fashioned kind, ice cream, whipcream, etc., - saw me through the hormone thing with my first. Course I gained 50 some odd pounds, so maybe that's not the best solution x:D!
  • Thanks everyone for your kind wishes and good advice. I agree that sooner is better than later, and so I told my boss yesterday. It wasn't really planned, but he had come into my office on an unrelated matter, and I figured, "well, he's here and the door is already closed...” He took the news in stride, and wasn't even very surprised.

We are going to be adding a new person into our area in the next couple of weeks, so they will be cross-trained to help fill in during the impending rush of maternity leaves.

I will be putting together a binder of procedures for functions that will need to be performed in my absence, and a list of phone numbers where employees can be referred for answers that I would normally provide (our TPA for questions on coverage and claims, etc.) I will also (barring complications) be available to work from home, and can come in if it's absolutely necessary (as long as I can bring in my little bundle of joy)!

• Congratulations on your baby!

We have 20 pregnancies going on in our practice. In our fitness center, every guy down there has a wife or a significant other that is expecting. I will not set foot in that place! I don't know what kind of workouts they are doing, but I don't want any part of it!

• Congratulations, again!

Glad your boss took it in stride. I always appreciate straightforward news and not through the rumor mill. I'm sure he did too.

"Sam"