Giving job candidates a project? Your input

We are filling an administrative assistant position that will be required to create power point presentations as well as monthly reports to investors. For the final candidates I want to give a small project to take information and develop a power point presentation from it. I don't want them to spend a day on it, just want something objective to evaluate creativity and the actual computer and power point apptitude in comparison to the "I'm an 8 out of a scale of 1-10".
Only way I could think of............do you have or would you have any issues with this request for the position.
Blast away, I am wearing my teflon boxers!
My $0.02 worth.
DJ The Balloonman

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sounds ok to me, DJ. I don't see any difference between what you propose and a typical in-basket exercise used to evaluate executives. Some of those last a day or more.

I don't think you're facing any wage and hour issues (after all, you don't intend to use the PP presentation, do you?) but if you are I'm sure someone will pipe in with the scoop.
  • Hi DJ - I don't see any issues with this approach as presented in your post - it sounds like a fine tool to utilize in the interview process.
  • I've done something similar in the past and thought it worked ok. The real issue is deciding how much "weight" to give it. Presumably you'll have many other factors and this becomes another. As long as this is communicated to the finalists ahead of time and they're given the same prep time, you s/b ok. The 1 time this went awry was when a member of a protected class got less prep time than others (inadvertent) and it sent south when the allegation rolled in that discrimination occured. The allegation faded away, but I still remember the "whoops" that was made.
  • Not planning on using it, however if one knocked our socks off can't say what the finance guy might do. I am just using it to evalute the candidates. I am using this as one factor, and it will not be the deciding factor, the interview and a number of other factors will have much more weight. Also I was already concerned about making sure everyone has equal time, and I am prepared to give some additional time if they have any thing that causes them issues.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • Depending upon the position we're hiring for, we've utilized this in the past (i.e. what would you do to revise the company newsletter?) We also look to see how much they put into it - creativity and research done on us before coming here. It's also interesting to see what other resources they enlist - we had someone ask questions of another associate they hadn't met before (no rules not allowing this and it showed good initiative on their part)

Those interviewing (typically round two of the process) are given the same assignment & time to complete it.

We have used them both for Marketing and Administrative roles. As you mention, it's not the sole factor but one more item to help differentiate the candidates.
  • Excellent - this is what job related testing is all about. You just need a sample, not a complete presentation.
  • Balloon - I admit this is an area (onlyone of zillions) I know nothhing about. But isn't there a Uniform Tset Guideline somethng or other to be sure to comply with? I thnk title VII requires that any test not be disproportionately disparatae on a protected class, but just vague ideas of areas of concern. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing you know? I do like the idea though!
  • Morning all........
    Shadowfax, all of them claim to have excellent knowledge of MS office software, if they are not computer literate they would not be successful in the job and would be quickly eliminated from consideration. 6 of the 8 list being proficient or expert powerpoint users........... it will be one of the functions of the job so I dont see about it effecting any class disporportionately. If they don't have the majority of the skills they will not someone we hire, they are going to have to hit the ground running.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman