Is it important to have job descriptions?

I'm curious to know the importance of job descriptions in companies and would like to know how many companies out there are currently using them. Also, do you specify the number years of experience to determine what level an employee fits in or do you leave that blank?

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Having proper job descriptions has always been a good practice, because it helps the manager focus on the skills, background, and knowledge necessary to perform the job and provides a basis for determining salary levels, etc. But in recent years having written job descriptions has become a near necessity.

Written job descriptions are one of your best defenses if you're ever sued for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. The job description should show the things you consider essential functions of the job.

ADA litigation has also reinforced the importance of not only articulating job requirements but also updating them regularly so they can be used as credible evidence of current duties and employer expectations. Note that you should go beyond stating specific tasks in the job description. Other requirements, such as regular attendance or the ability to work as part of a team, should also be identified.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Hi - only to add to the good things Brad has already stated - job descriptions become pretty important when working/developing compensation systems as well. To quote Martha Stewart, "They're a good thing."
  • Job descriptions serve several purposes. 1. It gives employees a general, if not specific, idea of what their job duties are. 2. They are useful when dealing determining ADA situations by clarifying what are the essential duties of the job. We give the employee a job description at interview and then upon hire we give them another one, have them sign that they receive it, and put a copy on their personnel file.

I think you will find that more companies than not use job descriptions.

• You don't have to have them, but many organizations use them for hiring to ensure that a candidate is qualified. They will give the candidate a copy and make sure that the candidate is able to do everything that the job requires, including the physical requirements (with or with out a reasonable accomodation). They also will use job descriptions to defend promotional decisions and discrimination charges (particulary ADA claims) saying that the claimant is not qualified for the job.

It's a pretty huge task to write job descriptions depending upon how many job titles you have. If you want to start slow, some of my clients will begin with drafting job descriptions for every new job opening until they get one written for every job title. Be sure you include the physical requirements on every job description, including (for the office positions) the ability to sit for long periods of time, the ability to concentrate for long periods of time, etc.

Many HR people will outsource this type of project because they simply don't have time to do it. I have someone I can recommend if you want to go that route. Just call me and I'll discuss it further with you.

I'll also send you a sample job descriptions if you are looking for a template. Just e-mail me and I'll send it to you. Hope that helps.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • Hi Margaret,
    I would really appreicate you sending me sample job descritions to get an idea of what one says. I will also keep your phone number on file in the event I need to outsource this project.

Thank you,
    Dennell
  • I'm happy to send it to you, but I'm sure you want it in e-mail form so you can manipulate it. Will you e-mail me and I'll send one by return e-mail? I'll send you an executive one, an office one and a warehouse one.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • As usual, you have some good advice. I would suggest that job descriptioons are good guidelines for all involved. However, I would add that they should be flexible and a working document. I think they loose their value when they are not updated and the demands of the business/job has caused changes. Things are pretty fast moving & changing now a days.

To lighten you load, I would suggest that each person in the job write the initial draft. This way they will own it. You can then interview them (or observe)to be sure nothing was left out. Then, you can formalize it & add all the extra ADA stuff. There is nothing worse than writing a job description in a vacuum - they become useless.

Good luck,
  • Hi dsandoval,

You have received excellent advice from the posts so far, I would only add that our job descriptions become the basis for our annual evaluations. They become an excellent foundation from which to rate each ees progress toward achieving their part of your organization's goals.
  • I think it was 'Brother Paul' in Cannon Beach who posted last year that his organization does not believe in job descriptions.
  • >I think it was 'Brother Paul' in Cannon Beach who posted last year
    >that his organization does not believe in job descriptions.

It may have been Paul who posted that last year but I also stated we did not have job descriptions at our local operation but rather an extensive SOP system for ee’s to follow. I also posted that I like the statement, “other duties as assigned.”

• The posts on this question have been excellent. I would like to add a couple of reasons why job descriptions are important. Aside from ADA cases, job descriptions are absolutely necessary when defending against any type of discrimination allegation (racial, gender, religion, age, etc - whatever is provided by Title VII as well as respective state laws.) The best proof that your treatment of an employee was related to performance and not to a protected characteristic such as color or sex is the job description. It provides proof that you had an objective standard for the performance. Let me add they are also important in FLSA matters. If you are challenged as to whether an employee is exempt rather than nonexempt, you will want to show both what the employee is doing and the conformance of that activity to the job description. This is why keeping job descriptions current is vital. I also want to second the vital role that a job description plays in giving guidance to both the employee and the employee's manager. This is at least as important as the legal considerations such as ADA, Title VII, and FLSA.
  • Santire makes one final point which I consider to be the most alarmingly important of all and it is noteworthy that a lawyer has made it for us. And that is that the very best reason to have a job description in the first place has been relegated to the very last reason on the list. JOB DESCRIPTIONS PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN GIVING GUIDANCE TO BOTH THE EMPLOYEE AND THE EMPLOYEE'S MANAGER. Damn! What a concept! Of course that 'should' be the primary reason for having them. But, sadly, due to the existence of a litigious society, it has been relegated to last.
  • They are important for all the reasons stated. They become worthless, however, if not updated on a regular basis and this happens a lot. Then you might as well not have them. You need some sort of system to make sure that they stay current.
  • Glad to see you Gillian! Safe from the fires?
  • I don't believe in job descriptions? You misread me.. I said I dont believe in the Easter Bunny. We maintain excellent, regularly updated job descriptions here.

Come on, I say enough silly stuff without you putting words in my mouth for me Don.

• Sorry Paul. I thought last year you had said you guys did not have job descriptions. Maybe it was something else you don't have. Remind me. Attendance policy? Performance Reviews? You've got me wondering.

But, for all who want the real answer to the job description, re-read Santire's post.