Class A/B Drivers-Where are you???

I am at my wits end... we have been looking for 2-3 drivers for our southern CA facility and have completely bombed out! I'm browsing thru some web sites now, but wondering if any of you have any ideas or sources that you have used that were successful in recruiting Class A/B Drivers??? I'm really hoping I don't have to take a chair down to some truck stop and pass out applications....
The positions won't actually be all driving.. they will also be assisting in the pkging and transporting of hazardous waste (also need a haz/mat endorsement.) Will appreciate any help I can get!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I feel your pain. We are a construction company and like you we were finding it very difficult to find qualified drivers. We ended up selling a large number of trucks from our fleet and renting trucks/drivers. It has worked out fantastic for us.

Do you have any diesel driving schools nearby? They provide all of the training and licensing; the only downside is lack of experience.

Good luck!
  • KYMM:

Been there and done that; the best place is to in fact go to is the truck stops and put a flyer on the boards, some are in the restrauant, some are in the rest rooms (both men and women), some are in the retail portion of the "truck stop". I once went knocking on truck doors, their sleepers and got someone's attention. Another way is your CB or truck radios, tell your drivers to put the word out on the network. The trip to the truck stops will be the best money ever spent. I will check my old "handouts" and if I still have them I'll zip you one for your use. I also put the flyers in all of the local convient stores gave them to the clerks and ask them to talk to their neighbors and for every employee I hired that was referred by way of the flyer, I gave them $200.00. I got action and filled up my recruiting files and satisfied my immediate need of three drivers all wanting local or overnight hauling, which fit my needs.

Hope this helps.

PORK