Manager Problem

I have a manager (Quality Manager) who lost her daughter two years ago in a motorcycle accident. When this happened the company was very understanding and provided her extensive time off as needed to help her handle her grief. The company has continued to support her over the past two years and allowed her time off whenever necessary to deal with her grief, etc.. In May of this year she went on FMLA leave for depression for 6 weeks and was released to return to work.

Over the past month or so we have had alot of issues with this person due to her inflexibility when approving parts, etc.. She has become very rigid and her standards are tighter than even those of the customer in regards to what constitutes a "good" part. In addition she has become increasingly despondent and has made comments about quitting her job. When she has a problem she expects others to deal with it instead of being involved in the process but at the same time she complains that she feels she is being "left out" of the decision making process. She has alienated most of the production supervisors due to responses when asked a quality question. Yesterday was the "last straw" for several individuals because a part needed to be "ok'd" and she refused to okay it due to the way it was being run. When she was presented with a part that was run the way she wanted she was unable to tell the difference between the two but still refused to approve the part. The Production Manager and Director of Manufacturing went to the president of the company for assistance who then stepped in. Later that afternoon she was asked to drop off some parts (something she had willingly done in the past) and her response was, "no, I'm tired of bending over backward for this company".

At this point I am getting involved because upper management isn't sure how to proceed. I'm looking for suggestions from you.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Did the problems start just in the past month or has this been building up? Has anyone sat down with the employee and discussed the issues you mentioned? Have the performance issues been documented?

At this point, are you interested in helping this employee improve or are you looking for a way to let her go?

Paul in CB
  • Maybe I have on my benevolent hat today. You have a choice between hard line discipline and taking the attitude of helping her to get help. Two years is a very short time following a tragic loss. As you said, she was and is depressed, clinically. A period of counseling with drugs doesn't take care of the problem. Perhaps she needs to get reinvolved in counseling/therapy. EAP comes to mind. What level of help will she accept from you? Does she like and trust you? Does she want to be helped? Is the company culture geared toward helping? Are you prepared to discard her? Lot's of unknowns here. As you know, the woman needs help that she alone cannot provide herself. I'm not trying to turn it all into a touchy-feely social program as some might suggest. You know the choices. You know the potential outcomes. Ask yourself these two questions: What's the worst thing that can happen if the company does nothing to help? What's the best that can happen if the company does figure out a way to help? If she is so depressed and withdrawn and over-focused as you suggest, she may need somebody to get up in her face and make some demands or frank suggestions. It ain't gonna get any better if you do nothing.
  • This individual doesn't work for you. I would have a talk with her immediate manager and explain that you will be there to offer support, input and direction but she is his/her person to deal with regarding performance related issues. Work with manager to develop a PIP and offer to sit in on counseling if needed but let the manager do his/her job.

my .02
  • Having said the above I also feel it's important to say that I do agree with Don D, there are some issue here best directed to an EAP.
  • LINDAS: Boy is "Dandy Don" mellow this day, I too lean toward providing EAP assistance if she is wanting it. Otherwise, the production of the companies' main purposes the product must continue to flow inspite of Ms SICKONE. Action to remove her from the hindering activities is paramont; her management chain have got to step in, you the HR can get her off the line and let her bosses deal with her issues which appear to be deep rooted and probably beyond their expertise, but get her out of the way!!! If you had a "good ole boy, drunk" in her position what would you do? She, it reads like,I see her in a "mental stooper".

PORK
  • We do have an EAP and she has spoken with the counselor on NUMEROUS occasions. The company has been very supportive of her over the past two years but since she has returned from her LOA things have gone downhill. I'm concerned that addressing her overzealousness with regard her her position will only have a very negative impact. I just ended a meeting with our EAP who agreed to contact her tomorrow as a follow-up to their previous discussions. I'm hoping that he will be able to offer some suggestions because in absence of that, I don't see this going anywhere except with a "parting of the ways".
  • It's good you are using the EAP as an option. Again she has to want to do it. Do not forget her performance issues, however. Focus on her behaviors that cannot be tolerated, get her to agree to change and see what happens. Document the meeting of course. If she does not agree to change or continues the behavior that you discussed you could always terminate with the option of rehire and allow her to continue go to the EAP for a set number of visits. We have termed ee's and allowed them to continue to use the EAP in extreme situations. They never came back so I do not know if it was effective. But I hated terming a withering pile of mush that I knew would not be able to help themselves without help.
  • LINDAS: And that might just be the right medicine for she and the company.
    Grab the boar by the ear and lead him to the sow, but that is about the extent of your controls. Her behavior is hers and only she can change "specific behavior"; as long as a adult knows what is expected of them in any and all situations the adult will, unless hampered by mental/medical conditions, they will rise to the happening. Specific behavior is actions that one can "see and/or hear", THE PART THAT SHE WOULD NOT APPROVE IS A GOOD SPECIFIC BEHAVIOR THAT IS A HINDERANCE. If I'm not aware of my behavior, as being disruptive, you owe it to me, the long term ee, to tell me, point out what you see and hear and it is up to me to fix my behaviors in order to stay on the team. If the boar is led and he doesn't know what to do or just does not want to do "the dirty" then he gets to go on the short run to the "MARKET PLACE AND YOUR TABLE"!

PORK
  • Hey Linda, these are always tough ones. But I don't think you can avoid addressing her overzealousness for fear of the negative impact and I would have her suprvisor address her performance with her. Many of you know I am a big believer in EAP and I would could continue to use them as a resource. I think you have gotten some excellent advice here. My own approach would be the combination route. I feel you can be supportive of an employee in terms of the personal issues, but still have an obligation to address their work performance. Good luck and do let us know how it turns out.