Resume Response Issue

I recently posted a job opening on Career Builder. I received tons of resumes via e-mail that were not even close to the requirements of the job. Is it appropriate to respond to these e-mails with a rejection? Or should I send letters? Or should I not respond at all? Most of the jobs I have here are industrial and walk-in applications. This is the first professional level opening I have had. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • In today's electronic world, you are neither under an obligation to respond to them, nor will you ever find the time. Just be prepared for about 30% of them to send followup emails and another 25% to find out your telephone number.
  • Many of those applicants are just "shotgunning" their resumes to various job posts, regardless of whether or not they meet the qualifications, hoping something will stick. I routinely use web-based ads and if the respondents are clearly not qualified, I don't acknowledge them. Usually the only people who hear from us are those we want to interview. Those who were not selected after the interview get a thank you letter, but that's it.
  • Thank you both for the response. You just saved me about three hours of responding to customer service people that want to be a tool designer. Whew!!
  • Is that a bad thing? I'm really a brain surgeon who wants to be an HR Manager. x;-)
  • Having been in the job market myself in the past, I found it comforting just to know that my resume was received and well as being an indicator that courtesy was important at the company to which I applied.

I asked IT to set up a special mailbox for postings. Those postings are the only place I use that email address. I have an automatic reply on this mailbox as follows:

[font color="blue"]"If you have just submitted your resume for consideration, thank you for the interest you have shown in our company. We will review all resumes submitted and will contact those whose background and qualifications most closely match the requirements for the position.

[b]Note[/b]-[i]This mailbox was specifically set up to receive resumes from candidates who are interested in positions with our company. We only accept resumes from principals; we will not review any resume submitted by an outside agent.

This is an automatic message; if you have submitted any other type of correspondence, there will be no further reply."
  • Thanks Christine, that is a great idea too. I will speak with my IT guys and see if I can set up something like that.
  • I do not reply to acknowledge receipt of resumes for the reasons listed above. But, if someone takes the time to send me a follow-up email, I usually send them a quick one or two sentence reply.
  • I can relate, I posted an administrative assistant job on career builder, over 200 replies. The majority not having the requirements listed. I only send letters of no thanks to those who come in and interview. I put on all my ads no phone calls please...........first test to see if they can follow directions! x}>
    If I get a follow up email I will reply with a one sentence saying yes it was received and we will contact those we wish to bring in for an interview.
    Same as above, while it would be nice, to let everyone know their email was received, the fact is when they are not qualified, I am not going to take time to acknowledge receipt. Besides, when you send an email, you will get an error message back if it does not go through.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman
  • I doubt it is practical to respond to all of those applicants, unless you have little else to do or a designated clerical person. In our office, we sometimes receive 200 to 300 responses for positions and CANNOT contact them all. We did try at one point to send postcards to all applicants, and also at another point send a generic "thank you" email. Both efforts were unmangageable. So, we decided it is best to only respond to those you are interested in reviewing further. (Plus, some folks falsely get their hopes up when you send them an email acknowledging a resume; I hate to do that to folks.)

In addition, on all of our job announcements we include language such as "Due to the large volume of rmsponses#received by this office, we are unable to contact all applications. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted."

We also are happy to check if an application/resume was received if someone calls but we don't post our phone number or personal email addresses on internet job postings -- too overwhelming!

Hope this helps.