OSHA isues? sorry so long...

I am posting this for my mother. She is a haridresser and her salon recently added acrylic nail services. She has been experiencing allergic-type reactions- sore and itchy eyes, respiratory discomfort, etc. She says they have an air conditioner but no other ventilaiton or air exchange. The manicurists claim that opening the door affects the acrylic. Mind you, they wear masks when they do acrylic or air brushing.

I told her that OSHA may have compliance regs for indoor air quality for hair salons but she A) is skeptical that government agencies actually do anything and B) is fearful of retaliation (I told her this is illegal but I can understand her fear.) She is seeing a doctor because of her eyes but since she is the only one with such a bad reaction I'm not even sure this would even qualify for a Worker's Comp case if she is unable to work there.

I searched the OSHA website for regulations governing air quality in beauty salons to no avail. Does anyone know of any such regualtions or where else I can go for this information? What about Worker's comp? If she can no longer work there does she have any recourse until she can find other work or does that apply only when someone can not work anywhere at all?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would start out by going on my State web site and check out if there is someone you can contact regarding this.
  • Subpart Z in reg # 29CFR1910.1000 (you can look it up on OSHA.gov) lists the limits for air contaminents. Is acrylic the scientific name for the substance? If it is acrylic it is not listed, but they do have a "particulates not otherwise regulated". She could also ask if they have a MSD sheet and it will list the air limits for the substance. I will be surprised if they have one, but they should.

I would not advise her to go to mgmt armed with OSHA regs. They will immediately be on the defensive and based on her fear of retalitation, it will not go well. Have her sit down with them and tell her effects, etc. and ask what they can do to help her. If they don't know, suggest getting (call the manufacturer) or looking at the MSDS. That will give guidance.
  • Thank you. She has already spoken to her boss who pretty much told her to stop complaining. When she complained non-stop to me I suggested she find out what the OSHA regs are so that she would have some solid documentation to back up her claim that the substances are harmful, as if mask wearing manicurists isn't proof enough!

Her boss tries to pull some crazy stunts that teeter on the edge of legality every once in a while (wage issues, breaks, etc) so my mother will ask me whether it is legal or not and I've referred her to DOL before. I'm not so sure she really wants to take action or just know she's right.