HR audit on dairy farms

A good friend of mine and colleague who is an HR Consultant here in California has been contracted to conduct HR audits for two small dairy farms (25 to 50 employees each). Other than the obvious (recordkeeping, payroll procedures, health and safety, HR policies, etc., he has asked me what direction or emphasis should he give to these audits, since his experience, like mine, has been primarily in a manufacturing environment.Could anyone offer some suggestions or share their experience in this area? We would greatly appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not really sure what the consultant friend is asking. The industry or physical location of the place should not impact an HR audit. But, on the slight chance that it might, I suggest you email PORK. He is similarly situated, shall we say, and may have some ideas that would be useful to your friend. Pork is at [email]richardstubbs@prestagefarms.com[/email] and he is an HR manager/director in a similar business.
  • I would think everything would essentially be the same except for safety and health issues. That's where he should focus his research. Here are some things pop into mind not related to safety and health(I'm manufacturing also): FMLA compliance, new hire orientaion, federal and state posting requirements, handbook, harassment policies, leave policies, annual safety training. I could think of more, but then I'll want a cut of the consulting fee. x:D
  • Definitely I-9 forms.
    I have known of many illegals working dairy farms in Texas.