Privacy Freak

I understand that in HR, there are many things that should be kept behind closed doors, but our boss takes things way too far. From day one, whenever he wants to talk to someone (whether in person or on the phone), he closes the door. We have a small team - only 6 of us - but he never communicates with us as a team - only individually. It's almost like everything is a secret.

Does this happen in other HR offices? Is this considered normal? Is there any advice on how to change this behavior?

St. Cloud Proud

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • To tell you the truth, I do that to a great extent. I have a loud, very clear voice and if I don't close my door, everyone can hear me which makes the ee uncomfortable no matter what we are talking about. We have 2 staff meetings per month.

Do you not have staff meetings? I would think it would be important that everyone know where everyone is during the week and what projects are being worked on. Can you request this, but couch the request so it sounds like a real benefit to you and others without going into the whole privacy freak thing?
  • I wish a few people around here would close their doors, I've heard more than my share of disciplinary meetings. But if its not a private issue, you might want to suggest that he has such a great idea, or raised such an important issue, you'd like to share it with the team.
  • I have lots of closed door sessions also, but only if the topic demands privacy. Individual meetings happen frequently, as needed. Weekly staff meetings are a must, even when the issues are mundane. Open door policy lets staff see me as the occasion warrants.

Don't let the bosses behavior get to you. Some people develop habits born from bad experiences. Conversations that should have been kept private leak out. It does not take to many of those for a person to over react to prevent the problem from happening again. Others are control freaks with information. If it is deeply bothering you, speak to the boss is private - he may share his perspective with you. But make sure it is a big enough deal to let him know you want to hear his conversations with other people.
  • We used to have a staff meeting each Monday, but that ceased when three members of the staff retired/resigned at the same time (all unhappy here). The 4th staff member has also announced her intention of retiring within the next few months, and that leaves me. I almost think he has been so hurt by everyone leaving that he doesn't want to trust anyone - he probably thinks that I am getting ready to jump too (I did think about it, but I want to stay here). Basically, he hired a new staff, and the "closing of doors" has been getting worse. It makes you feel like there is a total lack of trust. It's very difficult to work under these conditions. It was better when we functioned as a team. I guess I'm just frustrated, and I'm using this forum to vent. Thanks for the advice.

St. Cloud Proud
  • My last Director had a voice that carried so that every phone conversation was understandable from several offices down. I think we would have preferred that he kept his door closed most of the time. It was not that the information was sensitive, but that his conversations were distracting. Even though you weren't interested in the conversation, it was natural to either make an effort hear better or make other efforts to not hear at all.

If something like this is not that case for you, I would suggest a discreet inquiry about the closed door practice. There might be a good reason (not one that I can think of right now) or he may just not realize the message it is sending and the affect on morale.
  • I think we're analyzing the wrong problem here. The manager has a right to decide how he will direct the department and thay may include his decision to speak with people privately. That is his option. We cannot assume he has a 'privacy freak problem' and we cannot go about the business of trying to 'change his behavior'. Your question was how can you change his behavior. Apart from commenting with a smile that you look forward to the return of the weekly staff meeting, that you really found them helpful, there is nothing you can or should do.

The problem is more with the perception those sitting outside the closed door are forming in their own heads. In that regard, the problem is yours, not that of the man closing the door. While you may consider him a privacy freak, if he were in this conversation with us, he may say he considers yours to be a paranoid reaction to the way he manages his department.

People really have no 'right' to know why he manages the way he does. Speculating about that doesn't really result in anything. It might be more productive for the ones not called into his office to remember parts of the Serenity Prayer and chant something like "If it's not my business, it's not my business, dum de dum". The only behaviors you can change are yours. x:-)
  • Hey at least he is meeting with the staff. We haven't had a team meeting in months nor do we get called in on an individual basis either! This has caused lack of communication between upper management and middle management big time!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-07-03 AT 12:55PM (CST)[/font][p]I was at a meeting once where we were advised never to have a closed-door meeting with a member of the oppostie sex without a third person there. I guess once you're burned with the false accusation of sexual harrassment, you never forget it.
  • We have a homosexual manager in our corporation. How might that rule apply to her department?
  • don - then she can close the door when the men are with her! HA!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-08-03 AT 10:45AM (CST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-08-03 AT 10:38 AM (CST)[/font]

I see that Dr. Phil has kidnapped Don and is using his HRHero account. Dr. Phil, please give us a ransom request, we will pay whatever it takes to get Don back. x:D

edit: This was intended to respond to post #6

edit#@: This actually should have been posted in the HR generalist terminated post. I think I may have to turn in my smart-aXX card. Please give me one more chance.

• You'll be OK after lunch. Just take your medication. x:-)
  • CLOUD NINE: SOME HRs ARE STRANGE and some do close their door for all sorts of communication. Usually, that is a sign of "considered weakness"; I close the door when I'm dealing with confidential matters that must be "close hold". Now it may be a slacking in special trust and confidence of those nearest the HR. Leaks might have happened and the HR has found it necessary to retain all information to his own. That is the nature of the HR world, if we do not have special trust and confidence in our staff then the first thing to do is get control over all information. 2nd thing to do is get rid of all with whom I can not trust. It reads like you may need to be working in some location or develop the special trust and confidence in the HR with you. If it does not happen for whatever the HR's reason, then clear out your desk and go to work somewhere else.

PORK